Finding ratio of smaller terminal velocity to larger terminal velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of the effective cross-sectional area A in the slower position to that in the faster position for a skydiver. The terminal speed in the spread-eagle position is 188 km/h and in the nosedive position is 320 km/h. By setting the terminal speed to each value and solving for A, the ratio is found to be greater than 1, indicating that the area in the slower position is greater than in the faster position. The approach taken was successful, with the only mistake being not taking the reciprocal of the final answer.
rockchalk1312
The terminal speed of a sky diver is 188 km/h in the spread-eagle position and 320 km/h in the nosedive position. Assuming that the diver's drag coefficient C does not change from one position to the other, find the ratio of the effective cross-sectional area A in the slower position to that in the faster position.

vt = sqroot (2mg/pAC)

188=sqroot(2(90)(9.8)/(1)(A)(1))

320=sqroot(2(90)(9.8)/(1)(A)(1))

Basically I just set v to each value given, set everything else the same and solved for A then divided the smaller value by the larger one and got .34 but this was the wrong answer.

Really thought this was a pretty simple thing to figure out but I'm probably just making a stupid mistake? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

"find the ratio of the effective cross-sectional area A in the slower position to that in the faster position."

Should the ratio be greater than or less than unity?

I'm sorry, what do you mean by unity?

Unity means the number one. Should the ratio be greater than or less than one?

LawrenceC said:
Unity means the number one. Should the ratio be greater than or less than one?

Ok yeah I see it should be greater than 1 since the area of A for the slower one would be greater than for the faster one...but was it still ok to approach the problem the way I did?

Ok it was just the reciprocal! Thank you very much :)

Glad you got it. I was trying to give you a subtle hint rather than saying take the reciprocal.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity pulling the object downwards is equal to the force of air resistance pushing the object upwards.

2. Why is it important to find the ratio of smaller terminal velocity to larger terminal velocity?

Finding the ratio of smaller terminal velocity to larger terminal velocity can provide useful information about the physical properties of the objects falling through the fluid. It can also help in understanding the behavior of fluids and how they interact with different objects.

3. How is the ratio of terminal velocities calculated?

The ratio of terminal velocities is calculated by dividing the smaller terminal velocity by the larger terminal velocity. This can be done by conducting experiments and collecting data on the velocities of objects falling through the fluid.

4. What factors can affect the ratio of terminal velocities?

The ratio of terminal velocities can be affected by various factors such as the size, shape, and weight of the objects, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid they are falling through. Other factors, such as air pressure and temperature, can also play a role in determining the ratio.

5. How can the ratio of terminal velocities be used in real-world applications?

The ratio of terminal velocities can be used in real-world applications such as designing parachutes, determining the best shape for objects that need to fall through the air at a specific speed, and understanding the behavior of objects that are affected by air resistance, such as planes and rockets.