Hooking up an ultrasonic transducer?

In summary, the conversation discusses a beginner's search for information on generating ultrasonic waves using scrapped transducers and equipment. They inquire about the process of connecting the transducers to a wave function generator and testing for wave generation, as well as adjusting the frequency. Additionally, they mention the possibility of using water to detect the waves and ask for clarification on the process.
gsjbjt
Hello,
Sorry if this seems like a very basic question to experienced engineers, but I'm a beginner in this area just looking to learn---
I thought up a research project, one of the components in which I need to generate ultrasonic waves. There were scrapped ultrasonic ring transducers (look like these: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/585168415_1/-font-b-Piezoelectric-b-font-font-b-Transducer-b-font-for-font-b-ultrasonic-b.jpg) lying around from someone else's previous research project, supposedly from a sonoluminescence kit. Currently I have a wave function generator and an oscilloscope on hand.
I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this --Is generating ultrasonic waves as simple as connecting two wires from each transducer to the wave generator?
How is it possible to test/detect whether waves are actually being generated (if I understand correctly, there's no distinguishable sound or vibration)?
Is it possible to adjust the frequency of the waves that the transducer produces by adjusting the settings on the wave generator, or is the wave frequency a set, physical property of the transducer?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could clear up any misunderstandings I have, as well as clarify the process for using these transducers.
Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think if you dip the transducer into water it should throw up some spray. The maximum output will be at the transducer's resonant frequency.

1. How do I connect an ultrasonic transducer to my circuit?

To connect an ultrasonic transducer to your circuit, you will need to identify the positive and negative terminals on the transducer. Then, connect the positive terminal to the positive wire of your circuit and the negative terminal to the negative wire. It is important to double check the polarity to ensure proper functioning of the transducer.

2. What voltage should I use to power the ultrasonic transducer?

The voltage required to power an ultrasonic transducer varies depending on the specific model and manufacturer. It is important to refer to the datasheet or manual for your transducer to determine the recommended voltage. Typically, ultrasonic transducers require a voltage of 5V or 12V.

3. Can I use a single ultrasonic transducer for both transmitting and receiving?

Yes, many ultrasonic transducers are designed to both transmit and receive ultrasonic waves. This is known as a "transceiver" transducer. However, if you are using separate transducers for transmission and reception, it is important to ensure that they are compatible and have similar frequency responses.

4. How do I adjust the sensitivity of my ultrasonic transducer?

The sensitivity of an ultrasonic transducer can be adjusted by changing the voltage or power supplied to it. Lowering the voltage can decrease the sensitivity, while increasing the voltage can increase the sensitivity. Additionally, some transducers have a sensitivity adjustment screw on the back that can be adjusted with a screwdriver.

5. Can I use an ultrasonic transducer in any type of environment?

No, ultrasonic transducers are designed for specific environments and may not function properly in extreme conditions such as high temperatures or high humidity. It is important to check the specifications of your transducer to ensure it is suitable for your desired environment.