Finding Displacement, Velocity, and Acceleration in a Viscously Damped System

In summary, the mass experiences displacement, velocity, and acceleration over time as a result of being disturbed from its equilibrium position.
andrewport87

Homework Statement

A viscously damped system has a total weight of 250 N, a spring stiffness k = 8 kN/m,
and a damping coefficient c = 0.08 kN-sec/m. Determine the displacement, velocity,
and acceleration of the mass as a function of time if it is disturbed from its equilibrium
position with an initial velocity of 0.25 m/sec with no initial displacement. Calculate
the displacement, velocity and acceleration of the mass at t = 1.75 sec.

Homework Equations

N?A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this, i tried, x = ½( v + v0 )t
Where:
x = displacement
v = velocity
v0 = initial velocity

but the question doesn't give all the varibales needed, think I'm going about it the wrong way

Physics news on Phys.org
hi man, welcome to physicsforums!

You need to use an equation which takes into account the physics of the situation. Do you know what equation to use if it was just a mass on a spring? And have you learned about how the equation should change when the motion of the mass is damped? They do give enough information, as long as you know what the equation is.

andrewport87 said:
I don't know where to start with this, i tried, x = ½( v + v0 )t
Where:
x = displacement
v = velocity
v0 = initial velocity

but the question doesn't give all the variables needed, think I'm going about it the wrong way
That equation only works for situations involving constant acceleration.

As BruceW noted, you first need to identify the proper physics. The phrase "viscously damped system" is a clue. The fact that there's a spring, a mass, and a damping coefficient is another.

BruceW said:
hi man, welcome to physicsforums!

You need to use an equation which takes into account the physics of the situation. Do you know what equation to use if it was just a mass on a spring? And have you learned about how the equation should change when the motion of the mass is damped? They do give enough information, as long as you know what the equation is.

To be honest, we got a crash course on the subject in 2 hours, then gave an assessment on it so we really haven't learned any of it and reading through the notes none of it makes sense. I'm a 4th year under graduate student and this is the first time I've ever done anything like this, its completely new, i don't even know the basics if I'm being completely honest, this has basically just been through at us and told to work through it.

only equation i can find for dampening force is:

Fd = cx

where x is the velocity and c is the coefficent and Fd is the dampening force, but again missing one of the variables, i think I'm missing something completely out

Try looking up "damped harmonic oscillator." This is typically covered in freshman physics.

1. What is structural dynamics and why is it important?

Structural dynamics is a branch of civil engineering that deals with the study of how structures behave and respond to external forces and loads. It is important because it helps engineers design safe and efficient structures that can withstand different types of loads, such as wind, earthquakes, and vibrations.

2. What are the main components of a structural dynamics problem?

The main components of a structural dynamics problem include the structure itself, the external loads or forces acting on the structure, and the structural response or behavior. It also involves the study of the materials and design of the structure, as well as any constraints or boundary conditions.

3. How do you solve a structural dynamics problem?

Solving a structural dynamics problem involves several steps, including modeling the structure, determining the external loads and constraints, analyzing the structure using mathematical equations and computer simulations, and interpreting the results to determine the structural response. The process also involves considering different design options and making modifications to improve the structure's performance.

4. What are the different types of structural dynamics problems?

There are several types of structural dynamics problems, including static analysis (determining the response of a structure to a constant load), dynamic analysis (evaluating the response to time-varying loads), and modal analysis (studying the natural frequencies and mode shapes of a structure). Other types include transient analysis (evaluating the response to sudden changes in loads) and random vibration analysis (studying the response to random or stochastic loads).

5. How does structural dynamics play a role in the design and construction of buildings?

Structural dynamics is a crucial aspect of building design and construction. It helps engineers ensure that a building can withstand various types of loads and forces, such as wind, earthquakes, and vibrations, and remain safe for occupants. It also allows for the optimization of building materials and design to reduce costs and improve structural performance.