Understanding Trigonometric Equations with Infinite Solutions

• Thread starter PhotonW/mass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the given equation sin3x=1 has an infinite number of solutions represented by the equation x= (pi/6)+2kpi/3, where k is an integer. This is due to the periodic nature of trigonometric functions. The function sin(3x) can have multiple values for the same input, leading to an infinite number of possible solutions. This is similar to the cosine function, which also has an infinite number of solutions for values of x where cos(x)=1.
PhotonW/mass
Hello I was trying to solve this sample problem, but I really don't get it.
The book says this word by word:

The equation sin3x=1 implies

3x=(pi/2)+2kpi, k an integer.
x= (pi/6)+(2kpi/3), k an integer *Divide each side by 3.

Because x is not restricted to a finite interval, the given equation has an infinite number of solutions. All the solutions are represented by the equation

x= (pi/6)+2kpi/3

Okay it lost me when it told me 3x=(pi/2)+2kpi.
I am really confused. This is not solved like the rest of the trigonometric equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, since the trigonometric functions are periodic there is more than one answer to what 3x can equal to sole your equation.
sin(v) = 1 implies v = pi/2 , but but pi/2 + 2*pi or pi/2 + 4*pi will do as well since it is 2pi-preiodic. k represents any number, that is k = 0,+-1,+-2,+-3 etc.

So therefor v = 3x = pi/2 + k*2pi which gives x= (pi/6)+(2kpi/3)

if x had been restricted then like for example 0<x<2*pi then only x = pi/6 had been an acceptable answer.

Hi,

As the previous poster said, consider the fact that the trig functions are periodic.
The cosine function can be called a "many-to-one" function.

So let's think about the function f(x) = cos(x).

Let me ask you, for what values of x does cos(x) = 1? If you can imagine the graph of the cosine function, or maybe the unit circle, you could tell me: cos(0) = 1.

But also, cos(-4π) = cos(-2π) = cos(2π) = cos(4π) = 1.

Therefore, we can say that solutions of x for the equation, are 2π * k, for some integer k.​

Look at the picture I attached for a view of this.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57974&stc=1&d=1366232397

Now, let's apply the same idea to your original question:

sin(3x) = 1
What values of (3x) does sin(3x) = 1?
Well, an obvious one is 3x = π/2, but also 3x = 5π/2, 9π/2 ...

We can apply the same notation, 3x = π/2 + 2π * k

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-04-17 at PM 04.47.36.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-17 at PM 04.47.36.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 5,624

1. What is (pi/2)+2kpi?

(pi/2)+2kpi is a mathematical expression that represents a set of numbers that are all equal to the value of pi/2 added to a multiple of 2 times pi. In other words, it is a way to express an infinite number of numbers that are all equally spaced apart from each other.

2. Why is (pi/2)+2kpi frequently used in math?

(pi/2)+2kpi is often used in math because it is a convenient way to represent a set of numbers that are equally spaced apart from each other. This is particularly useful in trigonometry and other branches of math that deal with angles and rotations.

3. What does the "k" in (pi/2)+2kpi represent?

The "k" in (pi/2)+2kpi represents any integer value, such as 1, 2, 3, etc. It is a variable used to indicate that the expression represents a set of numbers rather than a single number.

4. How is (pi/2)+2kpi related to radians and degrees?

(pi/2)+2kpi is related to radians and degrees because it is a way to express angles in radians. Radians are a unit of measurement for angles, just like degrees. However, radians are based on the ratio of the length of an arc to its radius, while degrees are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts.

5. Can (pi/2)+2kpi be simplified?

(pi/2)+2kpi cannot be simplified into a single number, but it can be written in different forms. For example, it can be rewritten as pi/2, 5pi/2, -3pi/2, etc. depending on the value of k. This allows for a more concise representation of a set of numbers that are all equally spaced apart.