Are There Functions Discontinuous Individually but Continuous When Combined?

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding two functions that are discontinuous at point C, but when added and multiplied together, will result in a continuous function at point C. The person was having trouble thinking of such functions and asked for hints. The other person suggested using two functions that are almost constant except at point C, and also mentioned that defining functions piecewise is allowed.
semidevil
I"m trying to think of 2 functions that are discontinuous at point C, but when added togther, and multiplied togther, will be continuous at point c.

I tried 1/x, root(x), a polynomail w/ x-1 in the denomiator...cant think of anything...any hints?

I mean, when you multiply 2 functions to get a new function, can't you factor that function back to the original function, and it will be discontinuous again? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Think quite a bit simpler. Hint: Try two functions that are "almost constant," ie. they are constant except at [itex]C[/itex] where they are both discontinuous.

Don't forget that defining functions piecewise is perfectly allowable.

It is possible to find two functions that are individually discontinuous at point C, but when added and multiplied together, they become continuous at point C. One example is the function f(x) = 1/x and g(x) = x. Individually, both functions are discontinuous at x = 0, but when added and multiplied together, the resulting function h(x) = f(x) + g(x) = 1 + x is continuous at x = 0. Another example is the function f(x) = sqrt(x) and g(x) = -sqrt(x). Individually, both functions are discontinuous at x = 0, but when multiplied together, the resulting function h(x) = f(x) * g(x) = -x is continuous at x = 0.

As for your question about factoring the function back to the original and it becoming discontinuous again, this is not always the case. In the examples given above, even if we factor the resulting function back to the original functions, they will still remain continuous at point C. This is because when we multiply two functions, we are essentially finding the point-wise product of the functions, which can behave differently than the individual functions. This is why it is possible to find functions that are discontinuous individually, but become continuous when multiplied together.

1. What is the importance of providing examples in scientific research?

Examples are essential in scientific research as they help to demonstrate and support the findings and conclusions of a study. They provide concrete evidence and allow for a better understanding of the concepts and ideas being presented.

2. How do I choose the most appropriate examples for my research?

When selecting examples for scientific research, it is important to consider their relevance and reliability. Examples should be closely related to the topic and should come from credible and trustworthy sources.

3. Can I use personal experiences as examples in scientific research?

In some cases, personal experiences can be used as examples in scientific research, but it is important to ensure that they are relevant and unbiased. It is best to use a combination of personal experiences and other reliable sources to support your findings.

4. How many examples should be included in a scientific study?

The number of examples used in a scientific study will vary depending on the research topic and the type of study. However, it is generally recommended to include enough examples to support and validate the findings, without overwhelming the reader with too much information.

5. Can examples be used to prove a hypothesis in scientific research?

Examples can be used to support a hypothesis in scientific research, but they cannot be used as definitive proof. It is important to use a combination of examples and other types of evidence to support a hypothesis and draw conclusions.