Math or Geophysics: Making a Decision on Physics Major

• Thread starter TheKracken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geophysics
In summary, the speaker is a first year physics major seeking guidance on career options. They are interested in geophysics because it allows for outdoor research in the arctic, but are also concerned about being indoors too much. They excel in math and are considering a career in mathematics, but are unsure if it will fulfill their desire for outdoor work. The conversation also mentions the use of computers in both geophysics and other technical careers.
TheKracken
Hello all, I am a first year physics major and I am hoping for some guidance. I am looking into careers that I would like and majors that interest me because I am still undecided on which to ultimately presue. I really do not want a job that is strictly in doors and nothing very interesting so I have been looking into geophysics, especially glacier physics because then I could do research in the arctic and be outdoors A LOT. But then again, when I do my math classes, everything just clicks. I understand everything very well. Granted I am only in trigonometry, but I am really good at math. I have not taken any of the physics courses yet but I am sure i will be good at those too. But maybe not as good as I am at math. With math I fear I will be inside all day. Do you think there will be enough math and such to satisfy my thirst in geophysics? Or possibly a exciting career in mathematics I should ultimately presue. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geophysics requires a lot of computer simulations based on mathematical models. If you go to work for an oil company you will also do a lot of field work.

But then most technical careers today use computers a lot!

One of my sons was a math major - he decided to become an actuary. He goes boating on his off days, but works mostly indoors. My younger daughter works outdoors a lot: she is a forester. But when she is working inside it seems to be all computer work.

1. What is the difference between a major in math and a major in geophysics?

A major in math focuses on developing a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and theories, while a major in geophysics focuses on applying those concepts to the study of the Earth and its physical processes.

2. Which major is more beneficial for a career in physics?

Both math and geophysics majors can lead to successful careers in physics. It ultimately depends on your specific interests and career goals. A major in math may be more beneficial for research and theoretical work, while a major in geophysics may be more beneficial for applied physics and environmental studies.

3. Can I double major in math and geophysics?

Yes, many universities offer the option to double major in math and geophysics. This can provide a well-rounded education and make you more competitive for both graduate programs and job opportunities.

4. Which major is more challenging?

Both majors can be challenging in their own ways. A major in math may require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, while a major in geophysics may require a solid understanding of both math and the Earth sciences. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your strengths and interests.

5. What type of courses can I expect to take in a math or geophysics major?

A math major will typically include courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and abstract algebra. A geophysics major will typically include courses in geology, physics, oceanography, and atmospheric science, in addition to some math courses. Both majors may also offer elective courses in specific areas of interest such as astrophysics or climate science.