IMMEDIATE weight loss after birth

• Thread starter Smfarnsworth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss Weight
In summary, a woman will lose about a pound and a half of water weight and 4-6 pounds of actual weight after giving birth.
Smfarnsworth
Hi,

In a similar vein to the weight of flying birds in a sealed van etc.

Let's say a woman weighs exactly 10 stones 7 pounds on the morning she is due to give birth. She starts to dilate etc. and heads to hospital. She gives birth to a beautiful baby girl weighing in at exactly 7 pounds. Seconds after doing so the woman leaps off the bed and weighs herself again. Will she weight 10 stones or 10 stones 7 pounds - and why?

Obviously if she now only weighs 10 stones I can work that one out!

This is causing much heated debate in our household so your insight would be appreciated (unless I'm proved wrong)

Cheers

Stephen

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi Stephen

She will weigh 10 stones for the same reason that a ten stone woman with a seven pound brick will weigh 10 stones after she drops the brick.

I weighed 142 pounds when I gave birth, I weighed myself after I gave birth, still weighed 142 pounds. The doctor said it was due to extreme water retention and the added breast milk.

The amount a woman that just gave birth can expect to lose.

How much weight will I lose right after giving birth?

You probably won't return to your pre-pregnancy weight for some time, but you will lose a significant amount of weight immediately after delivery. Subtracting one 7- to 8-pound baby, about a pound or so of placenta, and another few pounds of blood and amniotic fluid leaves most new moms about 12 pounds lighter.

The weight keeps coming off, too. All the extra water your cells retained during pregnancy, along with fluid from the extra blood you had in your pregnant body, will be looking for a way out.
So you'll produce more urine than usual in the days after birth – an astounding 3 quarts a day. You may perspire a lot, too. By the end of the first week, you'll likely lose about 4 to 6 pounds of water weight. (The amount varies depending on how much water you retained during pregnancy.)

http://www.babycenter.com/body-changes-after-childbirth

Don't be surprised if your actual weight loss is not as large.

Well that's annoying! I was rather hoping that like the birds in the van, the weight would remain constant!

Thank you...

I would like to provide a response to the topic of immediate weight loss after birth. First and foremost, it is important to understand that weight loss after giving birth is a normal and expected process. During pregnancy, a woman's body undergoes significant changes to accommodate the growth and development of a baby. This includes an increase in blood volume, amniotic fluid, and the weight of the baby itself. After giving birth, the body naturally begins to shed these extra fluids and tissue, resulting in a decrease in weight.

Now, to address the specific scenario described in the question, it is highly unlikely that a woman would experience an immediate weight loss of 10 stones after giving birth. This would equal a weight loss of approximately 140 pounds, which is a significant amount and could potentially be dangerous to the mother's health. In fact, most women can expect to lose around 10-12 pounds immediately after giving birth, which is primarily due to the delivery of the baby, placenta, and amniotic fluid.

As for the woman's weight after giving birth, it is important to note that the body will continue to undergo changes in the weeks following delivery. The uterus will shrink back to its pre-pregnancy size, and the body will continue to lose excess fluids. This can result in a gradual decrease in weight over the course of several weeks. Additionally, factors such as breastfeeding and physical activity can also impact the rate of weight loss after giving birth.

In conclusion, while it is possible for a woman to experience some immediate weight loss after giving birth, it is unlikely to be as significant as 10 stones. It is important for women to focus on their overall health and well-being rather than obsessing over weight loss immediately after giving birth. As always, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice and guidance.

What is immediate weight loss after birth?

Immediate weight loss after birth refers to the weight loss that occurs in the first few days to weeks after giving birth. This is typically a result of the loss of fluids and the delivery of the baby and placenta.

Is it normal to lose weight immediately after giving birth?

Yes, it is normal to experience weight loss immediately after giving birth. The body sheds excess fluids and the weight of the baby and placenta are also lost. This can result in a weight loss of 10-12 pounds on average.

How much weight can be lost immediately after giving birth?

The amount of weight lost immediately after giving birth varies for each individual, but on average, a person can expect to lose 10-12 pounds. This can vary depending on the weight of the baby, placenta, and amount of fluids lost.

What are the contributing factors to immediate weight loss after birth?

The main contributing factors to immediate weight loss after birth are the delivery of the baby and placenta, loss of excess fluids, and breastfeeding. Breastfeeding can help the body burn additional calories and aid in weight loss.

Can immediate weight loss after birth be sustained in the long term?

No, immediate weight loss after birth is typically temporary and does not reflect long term weight loss. It is important for new mothers to focus on a healthy and balanced diet, as well as appropriate exercise, in order to sustain weight loss in the long term.