Which software are used to plot figures?

In summary, the conversation was about identifying the software used to plot two figures and discussing various options for software that can be used to create similar plots. Some suggestions were Grace, Inkscape, Octave, Matplotlib, Maxima, Latex, Asymptote, Excel, Gimp, MS-Paint, and Mathematica. It was also mentioned that the first figure may have been hand-drawn and scanned in.
athosanian
hello, does anyone know which softwares are used to plot the following two figures ? I guess the two figures ae plot with different softwares. I hope someone could give me some references. Thanks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70271&d=1401720149.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=70272&d=1401720149.jpg

Attachments

• fig1.png
    fig1.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 573
  • fig2.jpg
    fig2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you ask the person who drew the figure, I think it is highly unlikely that anyone will be able to identify the software. That first figure might have even been hand-drawn by a professional drafter (it doesn't look very recent).

If you are looking for a software that would allow you to make such plots, there are many alternatives, that vary greatly in price. At the free end of that spectrum, you may take a look at Grace or at Inkscape, depending on your needs, but there are other options out there.

Likes 1 person
Yeah, those figures look hand made or the work of a plotter from years ago and THEN scanned in.

For the sinusoidal plot, there are quite a few programs you can use to draw that...Octave, Matplotlib, Maxima, Latex, Asymptote and the list goes on...probably the easiest for you to use is Excel.

For the other figure any just about anything will do...Inkscape, Gimp, MS-Paint...

Likes 1 person
thanks. I will have a look at these softwares.

Fumbling with Mathematica. To be clear, you can then export the diagram as an image file.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

What is the best software for plotting figures?

The best software for plotting figures depends on the specific needs and preferences of the scientist. Some popular options include MATLAB, Python's matplotlib library, and R.

Can I use Microsoft Excel to create figures?

Yes, Microsoft Excel has basic graphing capabilities and can be used to create simple figures. However, it may not have all the features and customization options that more specialized software offers.

Do I need to know programming to use software for plotting figures?

Some software, like MATLAB and Python, require knowledge of programming to create figures. However, there are also user-friendly options like GraphPad Prism and SigmaPlot that do not require programming skills.

Are there any free software options for plotting figures?

Yes, there are several free and open-source software options for plotting figures, such as GNU Octave, GNUplot, and Plotly.

Can I import data from other programs into software for plotting figures?

Most software for plotting figures allows for the import of data from other programs, such as Excel or text files. However, the compatibility and ease of importing may vary between different software.