Having Trouble Finding the Distance

• Thread starter Lucretius
  • Start date
In summary, to find the distance between point P(-2,2) and line L: 2x+y=4, you need to find the equation of the line perpendicular to L that passes through point P. Using the point-slope equation and the negative reciprocal slope, the equation of the perpendicular line is y = 1/2x+3. Setting this equal to the original line equation, you can solve for x and y to get the coordinates of a point on each line. Plugging these points into the distance formula, you get an answer of 6√5/5, which is different from the answer given in the book. Double checking the calculations and graphing the problem may help in finding where the
Lucretius
Summer has rolled around, but my studying continues. I want to be prepared for Calculus next year, so I bought some textbook at a thrift store. Already I'm running into problems! The book tells me to find the distance between P and L. P is a coordinate pair and L is a line equation. I have done three of these problems and all three have ended up being wrong, though I don't know where exactly I have made a mistake in my math.

[tex]P(-2,2)[/tex] [tex]L:2x+y=4[/tex]

I get the points for L by making x=0 and y=0, and I end up with:

[tex]P(-2,2)[/tex] [tex]L(2,4)[/tex]

Then I use the distance formula:

[tex]\sqrt{(2+2)^2+(4-2)^2}[/tex] which ultimately becomes [tex]\sqrt{20}[/tex], and finally [tex]2\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Unfortunately for me, my book reads: [tex]6\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to realize is that the shortest distance between a point and a line is along a line segment perpendicular to the original line. This should allow you to write an equation for the line segment. See if that gets you going in the right direction; write back if you get stuck.

So, should the line equation be changed to [tex]y=2x-4[/tex]?

I tried making Line L into Line L' and then doing the distance formula but I get [tex]\sqrt{52}[/tex].

No,

The equation of the original line is y = 4-2x
What is the slope of a line that is perpendicular to this line? The slope of a perpendicular line will be the negative reciprocal slope of the original line.
Then you should set up an expression for the slope of the new line (which you now know). Something like m = (y1-y2)/(x1-x2) The subscript 2 could be your ordered pair. The subscript 1 would then be the point on the original line that you want to find.
I hope that helps.

I'll try to do it tomorrow. I must be missing something right in front of my eyes. After 55 minutes of staring at the page, I just draw blanks.

Okay, I am about to go insane, no matter what I try, I cannot get this problem. I spent an hour looking at it last night, and an hour today, and I've tried everything — even what the book is telling me is not helping, and I cannot get the answer they tell me.

I found the line perpendicular to line L running through point P, which is (-2,2)
The equation of the line is x-2y=-6, or y=3+1/2x. The line it is perpendicular to is y=-2x+4.

The book I use tells me to set these equations equal to each other, and so I have: 3+1/2x=-2x+4, which leads to 2 1/2x = 1, and I get 4/10 for x. I then get y by plugging 4/10 in the first line equation. -2(4/10)+4 = 3 2/10.

Using the distance formula I get: [tex]\sqrt{(-2-\frac{4}{10})+(2-3\frac{2}{10})[/tex], which becomes [tex]\sqrt{\frac{832}{100}[/tex]. This does not become what the book says the answer is: [tex] \frac{6}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

Lucretius said:
Summer has rolled around, but my studying continues. I want to be prepared for Calculus next year, so I bought some textbook at a thrift store. Already I'm running into problems! The book tells me to find the distance between P and L. P is a coordinate pair and L is a line equation. I have done three of these problems and all three have ended up being wrong, though I don't know where exactly I have made a mistake in my math.

[tex]P(-2,2)[/tex] [tex]L:2x+y=4[/tex]

I get the points for L by making x=0 and y=0, and I end up with:

[tex]P(-2,2)[/tex] [tex]L(2,4)[/tex]

Then I use the distance formula:

[tex]\sqrt{(2+2)^2+(4-2)^2}[/tex] which ultimately becomes [tex]\sqrt{20}[/tex], and finally [tex]2\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Unfortunately for me, my book reads: [tex]6\sqrt{5}[/tex]
Do you know the point-slope equation for a line? It looks like this:
[tex]y-y_1 = m(x-x_1)[/tex]

You need to develop the equation for the line that is perpendicular to the line you have been given, L, and through the point given, P.

The slope of a perpendicular line is the negative of the reciprocal, or [tex]M_{\bot} = -(\frac{1}{m})[/tex]

You can use the point and the perpendicular slope to come up with the equation of the perpendicular line:
[tex]y-y_1 = m(x-x_1)[/tex]
[tex]y-2 = \frac{1}{2}(x+2)[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{1}{2} x + 3[/tex]

Now that you have the 2 line equations (y=-2x+4 and y=1/2x+3), set them equal to each other to calculate one of the variables. I'll set the Y variables equal to calculate x:
[tex]\frac{1}{2} x + 3 = -2x + 4[/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{2}{5}[/tex]

Now use the value of x calculated to calculate y by using eiter equation:
[tex]y = -2x + 4[/tex]
[tex]y = -2(\frac{2}{5}) + 4[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{16}{5}[/tex]

Now you have two points to plug and chug on the distance formula:
[tex]d = \sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2 + (y_2-y_1)^2}[/tex]

[tex]d = \sqrt{(-2-\frac{2}{5})^2 + (2-\frac{16}{5})^2}[/tex]

Which ends up to equal [tex]\frac{6 \sqrt{5}}{5}[/tex]

I double checked the answer on my CAD station so I know it's right and your book answer has a type-o.

my advice is to graph it all, then see if it sparks any sudden inspiration

What is the concept of distance?

Distance is a measure of the physical space between two points. It can be measured in various units such as meters, kilometers, feet, or miles.

Why do we have trouble finding the distance between two points?

There are many factors that can contribute to difficulty in finding the distance between two points. Some of these include lack of accurate measuring tools, unclear or changing terrain, and human error.

What are some methods for finding distance?

Some common methods for finding distance include using measuring tools such as rulers, tapes, or GPS devices, using mathematical formulas such as the Pythagorean theorem, and estimating based on landmarks or known distances.

How can we improve our ability to find distance accurately?

Improving accuracy in finding distance can be achieved by using more precise measuring tools, double-checking measurements, and using multiple methods for comparison. Practice and experience can also improve accuracy.

What are the practical applications of being able to find distance?

The ability to find distance accurately has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, construction, navigation, and sports. It is also important in everyday tasks such as measuring for home renovations or planning travel routes.