Melting Point of Inert Gas Crystals: Neon, Argon, Krypton & Xenon

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for physical properties of inert gas crystals, specifically for Neon, Argon, Krypton, and Xenon in their fcc solid form. The sources provided include melting points, freezing points, and boiling points for each gas. The possibility of finding these properties from Praxair or BOC is mentioned, as well as the difficulty of finding data at 0 Kelvin. The CRC Handbook and other solid state books are suggested as potential sources for the desired data.
hershal
I am in search of physical properties of inert gas crystals ( such as colour,lustre,etc). I could get only the melting point.

Specifically, i want for Neon, Argon, Krypton and Xenon which are fcc.

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at various sources and could find the following which were most comprehensive.

Neon has a freezing point of about -249°C, and a boiling point of about -246°C
http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem99/chem99460.htm
Richard E. Barrans Jr.
CHM/200/M019
Argonne National Laboratory

fcc in solid form
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Ne.html#Physical
Melting Pt: 24.703K -248.447°C -415.205°F

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Ar.html#Physical
Melting Pt: 83.96K -189.19°C -308.54°F

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Kr.html#Physical
Melting Pt: 115.93K -157.22°C -251°F

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Xe.html#Physical
Melting Pt: 161.5K -111.7°C -169.1°F

Since the gases are colorless as gas, unless in an electrical discharge, i.e. ionized, they presumably would be colorless as a solid.

Possibly Praxair or BOC might have the properties if they supply those gases.

I don't know if anyone does solid noble gases.

Thanks, Astronuc for those links !

I am doing a project to find out the Bulk Modulus and Energy variation of Inert Gas Crystals using Lennard-Jones Potential . So wanted to quote some simple properties of inert gas crystals in the introduction part.

all at 0 Kelvin . Now i have got the value for cell constant ( length of the crystal cube ) at 0K and 0 pressure and cohsive energy at 0 k and 1 atm, that is what is itching me right now.

In charles kittel he has given the value of cell constant extrapolated at 0K and 0 Presure and in oneother book by stephen eliot has the value at 4 K. I want things at 0 K , so that there are no thermal vibrations and it remains simple.

I need cell constant at 0 K and 1 atm if given in any other solid state book or on net or in any data book.

Have you tried looking in the CRC Handbook?

Zz.

hershal said:
all at 0 Kelvin . Now i have got the value for cell constant ( length of the crystal cube ) at 0K and 0 pressure and cohsive energy at 0 k and 1 atm, that is what is itching me right now.

In charles kittel he has given the value of cell constant extrapolated at 0K and 0 Presure and in oneother book by stephen eliot has the value at 4 K. I want things at 0 K , so that there are no thermal vibrations and it remains simple.

I need cell constant at 0 K and 1 atm if given in any other solid state book or on net or in any data book.
Data at 0 K might be a challenge. That is pretty esoteric.

I was also thinking that if it is colorless, and the electron shells are filled (noble gas), then the solid should be pretty transparent.

You might find the data in a CRC book - Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - as ZapperZ suggested. If you don't have access to one, I can look, but you should perhaps find it in a library, or Chemistry or Physics department.

What is the melting point of inert gas crystals?

The melting point of inert gas crystals, also known as noble gas crystals, varies depending on the specific gas. Neon has a melting point of -248.59°C, argon has a melting point of -189.34°C, krypton has a melting point of -157.36°C, and xenon has a melting point of -111.79°C.

What causes the melting of inert gas crystals?

The melting of inert gas crystals is caused by the increase in energy of the gas particles. As the temperature rises, the particles gain kinetic energy and begin to move more rapidly, eventually breaking the intermolecular bonds that hold the crystal lattice together.

What is the significance of the melting point of inert gas crystals?

The melting point of inert gas crystals is an important characteristic used to identify and classify different gases. It also provides insight into the strength of the intermolecular forces within the crystal and can be used to study the properties of the gas at various temperatures.

How does the melting point of inert gas crystals compare to other substances?

The melting point of inert gas crystals is typically much lower than that of other substances, such as metals or ionic compounds. This is due to the weak intermolecular forces between noble gas particles, which are easily overcome by an increase in temperature.

Can the melting point of inert gas crystals be affected by external factors?

Yes, the melting point of inert gas crystals can be affected by external factors such as pressure and the presence of impurities. Higher pressures can increase the melting point, while the presence of impurities can lower it. However, these effects are relatively small due to the strong intermolecular forces within noble gases.