Why Does Integral 1/x dx from -1 to 1 Diverge?

In summary: The integral \int_1^1 1/x dx does not have a defined value since the anti-derivative of 1/x is not defined at x=0. Therefore, it is considered an improper integral. When we try to break it up into two limits approaching 0 from the left and right, we get different results, showing that the integral does not converge to a single value. The Cauchy Principle Value can be used to give a "middle ground" value, but even that is not always accurate. In summary, the improper integral 1/x dx from -1 to 1 diverges because it is ill-defined and can be broken up in an infinite number of ways, with different results. The Cauchy
aceetobee
Can someone explain why the following improper integral diverges?

Integral 1/x dx from -1 to 1

I know if you break it up the individual integrals (from -1 to 0 and 0 to 1) diverge to negative infinity and infinity, whose sum is indeterminant in general, but the symmetry of the integral suggests it "should be zero".

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
OK... well, a little research and I think I answered my own question.

It really is an ill-definied integral, because when broken up into the limit of two separate integrals, there are an infinite number of ways this can be done, with one side approaching zero at a different speed than the other.

I guess the Cauchy Principle Value would be zero, but there are other possiblilities, so it diverges.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

If [itex]\int_b^c f(x)dx[/itex] is "improper" because f(a) is not defined, with b< a< c, then the integral is DEFINED as:
[tex]lim_{x_1->a^-}\int_b^{x_1}f(x)dx+ lim_{x_2->a^+}\int_{x_2}^cf(x)dx[/tex].

Since the anti-derivative of 1/x is ln|x|, neither of those limits exists when a= 0.

The Cauchy Principal Value, on the other hand is:
[tex]lim_{x_1->a}\left(\int_b^{x_1}f(x)dx+ \int_{x_1}^cf(x)dx\right)[/tex].
Since the limit is taken after both integrals are done, we can cancel the "ln|x1|" terms before the limit and just have ln|c|-ln|b|.

Last edited by a moderator:
aceetobee said:
It really is an ill-definied integral, because when broken up into the limit of two separate integrals, there are an infinite number of ways this can be done, with one side approaching zero at a different speed than the other.

I guess the Cauchy Principle Value would be zero, but there are other possiblilities, so it diverges.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...
That's totally correct.

1. What is the integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1?

The integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1 is equal to ln(1) - ln(-1). However, since ln(-1) is undefined, the integral is also undefined.

2. Why does the integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1 diverge?

The integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1 diverges because the function 1/x has a vertical asymptote at x=0. This means that as x approaches 0 from the left and from the right, the function becomes infinitely large. Since the area under the curve is infinite, the integral cannot be calculated.

3. Can the integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1 be approximated?

No, the integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1 cannot be approximated because it is undefined. However, one could approximate the integral by using a limit as x approaches 0 from the left and from the right.

4. Why is the integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1 important?

The integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1 is important because it is an example of an improper integral, which is a type of integral that does not have a finite value. It helps to illustrate the concept of divergence in calculus.

5. How does the value of the integral of 1/x dx from -1 to 1 change if the limits are changed?

The value of the integral of 1/x dx will change if the limits are changed. If the limits are changed to -2 and 2 for example, the integral will still be divergent, but the value will be ln(2) - ln(-2). However, if the limits are changed to -1/2 and 1/2, the integral will have a finite value of ln(1/2) - ln(-1/2).