What is the ultimate gaming console?

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation reveals a discussion about the best games console. Some popular options include the Xbox, Sega Megadrive, Gamecube, Atari, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, PC, and PS2. Participants in the conversation mention specific games and features that make their chosen console the best, such as the graphics and performance of the Xbox, the lifelike movements in the game Flashback on the Megadrive, the nostalgia associated with the Atari, the ability to play console games on a PC through emulation, and the popular games on the SNES such as Super Mario World, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat. There is also a suggestion to edit the poll to include the PS2 and replace the PS1

What was/is the best games console?

• Sega Megadrive/Genesis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sega Mastersystem

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sega Saturn

• NES

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • SNES

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • N64

• Nintendo Gamcube

• Xbox

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Playstation

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • PS2

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
jimmy p
Gold Member
What do you think is/was the best games console. I personally am torn between the Xbox and the Sega Megadrive

The Xbox because it is IMHO the best performing Console out with great graphics, though only a few games are worth getting!

The Megadrive because it was ULTIMATE! and also because of the game 'Flashback' which i think was the first game to model the protagonists movements on actual human movements..very lifelike!

What is your favourite and why?

ps. Ignore the spelling of 'Gamecube' i have just seen it! would some kind mentor change it please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ATARI!

Even though you didnt put it on there...the best system has to be the Atari! the original *for me* game system. Makes me wish i had mine again...so since you don't have atari on there [?] I voted for the next best...the nes. The length of those games beat out most of todays junk!

-Ty

Yeah unfortunately you only get 10 slots for the poll, so i put the more recent ones on i suppose. I also didnt bother with handheld games other wise i suppose the Gameboy and Sega Gamegear may have creeped in somewhere (and we all know that Amiga and Atari ST were computers and not just games machines!)

Keep posting!

The PC is the best. I can play console games under emulation.

The SNES is by far the greatest games console ever, and always will be no matter what. Had the best platform game evermade on it, i am obviously talking about Super Mario World the most adictive platform game i have ever played. Then there was street fighter and the Origional Mortal Kombat the 2 best fighting games ever and then there was super mario kart, does multiplayer gaming get any better than super mario kart? I think not.

Oh and just because a console has superior graphics then it doesn't mean its a superior console.

Aww poo. I meant to vote for the ps2. Any possibility to change it?

Also, you should edit the poll to ps2, since it plays 1 and 2 games, replace the ps1 with neo-geo.

Mostly because it plays all the ps1 games, and ps2 games. On the PS1, there was Gran Turismo 1 and 2, and the ps2 has GT3 A-Spec.

Not to mention the best Final Fantasy games are on the PS2.

Atari, Nes, Snes, sega, Coleco Vision, Neo-Geo, commadore(spell) can all be emulated on computers now.

xbox because it kills! j/k i have either owned/played all but 2 consoles to date and the xbox is my favorite. it has the size, the feel, and the power, all wrapped up into one cozy little package that makes games fun.

What was the best console?

The answer to this question is subjective and depends on personal preferences. Some may argue that the Nintendo Switch is the best due to its versatility and unique games, while others may argue that the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X are superior due to their advanced graphics and processing power.

What factors determine the best console?

Factors that determine the best console can include graphics, processing power, game selection, controller design, and price. Each individual may prioritize these factors differently, leading to varying opinions on the best console.

What makes one console better than another?

One console may be considered better than another due to its exclusive games, user interface, online capabilities, and overall gaming experience. Some consoles may also have better hardware and software features compared to others.

Is there a definitive answer to what the best console is?

No, there is no definitive answer as it is a matter of personal preference. Some may argue that sales numbers or critical acclaim can determine the best console, but ultimately, it is up to the individual's own preferences and gaming needs.

Do scientists have a say in determining the best console?

As scientists, we can analyze data and conduct research on the technical capabilities and features of different consoles. However, the determination of the best console ultimately falls under personal opinions and preferences, which are not within the realm of scientific study.

Back