How fast was the car traveling?

• Thread starter PhysicBeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions involving accident investigations and calculating forces. The first question asks for the speed of a car involved in an accident, while the second question asks for the force acting on a person involved in an accident. The answers are calculated using equations for force, acceleration, and velocity. The estimated force from the second question is quite high and may need to be checked.
PhysicBeginner
Homework question

Hi everyone. I just finished 2 questions but I'm not sure if the answer is right. So can anyone help me check it?
The first question is:
"Police find the tire tracks of a car that lost control and caused an accident. They want to know if the car was speeding. They determine that μs=0.65 for it's tire on this road. The tire marks are 126m long. How fast was the car traveling?"
Answer:
Fcar(the force of the car)
Fcar= μsFn Fn=mg
Fcar= μsmg
Fcar=ma
ma=μsmg
cross out the m
a=μsg
a=0.65*9.8
=6.37m/s^2
d=vt
t=v/a
d=v*(v/a)
126=v^2/6.37
v=28m/s
The velocity of the car was 28m/s
The second question is "Calculate the force acting on the body of a 60kg person who is involved in an accident. His car hits a tree while going 15m/s. The car comes to a stop with the tree embedded 1.1m into it."
Answer:
t=d/v
=1.1m / 15m/s
=0.07s
a=v/t
a=15m/s / 0.07s
=214m/s^2
Fbrake(The force of the break)
Fbrake=ma
=60*214
=12840N
So the force acted upon the person is 12840N
I'm not really sure of question 2's answer cause it seems a bit too big.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So can anyone check this? Thanks

Hi there,

I would like to provide some feedback on your answers to these questions.

For the first question, the calculation you have done to find the velocity of the car is correct. However, I would like to point out that the value of the coefficient of friction (μs) may vary depending on the road surface and other factors. Therefore, this answer is an estimate and may not be entirely accurate.

For the second question, your calculation of the force acting on the person is incorrect. The force acting on the person would be the force of the impact between the person and the car, not the force of the braking. To calculate this, you would need to use the equation F=ma, where m is the mass of the person and a is the acceleration due to the impact (which you have correctly calculated as 214m/s^2). So the force acting on the person in this scenario would be 60kg * 214m/s^2 = 12840N, which is a significant force.

I hope this helps and keep up the good work with your calculations!

1. How is the speed of a car measured?

The speed of a car is typically measured using a speedometer, which calculates the car's speed based on the rotation of the wheels. It can also be measured using radar guns or other specialized equipment.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. It is possible for two objects to have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. Can a car's speed change while it is traveling?

Yes, a car's speed can change while it is traveling. This can happen if the driver accelerates or decelerates, or if there are changes in the road or driving conditions.

4. How does the weight of a car affect its speed?

The weight of a car can affect its speed in several ways. A heavier car may have more inertia and require more force to accelerate, so it may take longer to reach a certain speed. However, once a car is in motion, its weight has less of an impact on its speed.

5. Can the speed of a car be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel. Therefore, the speed of a car, or any other object, cannot exceed the speed of light.