Volume Using Polar Coordinates

In summary, the volume bounded by the paraboloids can be found using polar coordinates by integrating from 0 to 2pi for theta, from 0 to 1 for r, and from 3r^2 to 4-r^2 for z. This results in an answer of 2pi. The key to understanding the limits is recognizing the circular symmetry of the problem and considering the geometry of the situation.
squeeky

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume bounded by the paraboloids z=3x2+3y2 and z=4-x2-y2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Somehow, through random guessing, I managed to get the right answer, it's just that I don't understand how I got it. Also, because the z is involved, I actually used cylindrical coordinates, but would that still be considered the same thing as polar coordinates? So anyway, I changed the two paraboloid equations to z=3r2 and z=4-r2. Then setting these two equations equal to each other (since they are both equal to z), I solved for r and got the limits of -1,1. For the limits of theta, I just happened to take it from 0 to 2pi. Lastly for the z limits, I just tried from 4-r2 to 3r2, so that gave me the equation:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_{-1}\int^{3r^2}_{4-r^2}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
However, solving this equation didn't give me the right answer, so I changed the limits of r to 0 to 1, and switched the z-limits around, so now it is:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_0\int^{4-r^2}_{3r^2}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
And solving for this, gave me the right answer of 2pi. The problem is that I don't understand the real logic behind what I did.
So in summary, what I didn't understand was how to establish the limits for theta, r, and z.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
squeeky said:

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume bounded by the paraboloids z=3x2+3y2 and z=4-x2-y2
Those two paraboloids intersect when z= 3x2+ 3y2= 4- x2- y2 or 4x2+ 4y2= 4 which reduces to x2+ y2= 1. That projects onto the xy-plane as the unit circle. It shouldn't be hard to see that the volume you want is above that circle. To cover that circle, [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and r goes from 0 to 1. Those are your limits of integration.

For each (x, y), the upper boundary is z= 4- x2- y2 and the lower boundary is z= 3x2+ 3y2. The volume of a "thin" rectangular solid used to construct the Riemann sums for this volume would be [(4- x2- y2)- (3x2+ 3y2)]dxdy= (4- 4x2- 4y2)dxdy= 4(1- x2- y2)dxdy and that, in polar coordinates, is 4(1- r2)rdrd[itex]\theta[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Somehow, through random guessing, I managed to get the right answer, it's just that I don't understand how I got it. Also, because the z is involved, I actually used cylindrical coordinates, but would that still be considered the same thing as polar coordinates?
Yes, "cylindrical coordinates" is just polar coordinates in the xy-plane.

So anyway, I changed the two paraboloid equations to z=3r2 and z=4-r2. Then setting these two equations equal to each other (since they are both equal to z), I solved for r and got the limits of -1,1.
No, you didn't. Or you shouldn't. r cannot be negative. r must be between 0 and 1.

For the limits of theta, I just happened to take it from 0 to 2pi.
Did you think at all about the geometry of the situation? This has circular symmetry. To cover the entire volume you have to cover the entire circle: 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Lastly for the z limits, I just tried from 4-r2 to 3r2
Surely you recognized that z= 4- r2 is ABOVE z= 3r2 for r<= 1?

, so that gave me the equation:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_{-1}\int^{3r^2}_{4-r^2}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
However, solving this equation didn't give me the right answer, so I changed the limits of r to 0 to 1, and switched the z-limits around, so now it is:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_0\int^{4-r^2}_{3r^2}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
And solving for this, gave me the right answer of 2pi. The problem is that I don't understand the real logic behind what I did.
So in summary, what I didn't understand was how to establish the limits for theta, r, and z.

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction. They are different from Cartesian coordinates, which use x and y coordinates, because they are more useful for describing circular or symmetric shapes.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you can use the formulas r = √(x² + y²) for the distance from the origin and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x) for the angle. These formulas can be derived using trigonometry.

3. What is the formula for finding the volume of a shape using polar coordinates?

The formula for finding the volume of a shape using polar coordinates is V = ∫(r)²cos(θ)dθ, where r is the radius and θ is the angle. This integral can be evaluated to find the volume of a specific shape.

4. Can polar coordinates be used to find the volume of 3D shapes?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to find the volume of 3D shapes as long as the shape has a circular or symmetric cross-section. By integrating over the appropriate range of angles, the volume can be found using the formula V = ∫(r)²cos(θ)dθ.

5. What are some real-world applications of using polar coordinates to find volume?

Polar coordinates can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to find the volume of objects with circular or symmetric shapes. For example, polar coordinates can be used to find the volume of a cone, which is useful in construction and manufacturing. They can also be used to calculate the volume of planets or stars, which have spherical or near-spherical shapes.