If you were out in space, motionless

• Thread starter taybot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the rate at which a clock appears to tick is dependent on the relative motion between the observer and the clock, with the maximum rate being 1 for stationary clocks and decreasing as the velocity increases.
taybot
If you were in a spaceship going the speed of light you wouldn't travel through time because you would be traveling through space instead. I got that.

So if you were to sit out in space completely free from gravity, motionless, and you were wearing a watch, does that mean time would go faster?

Since you aren't traveling through space at all, wouldn't that mean you are traveling through time at light speed and wouldn't that mean your watch would go faster?

Physics news on Phys.org
taybot said:
If you were in a spaceship going the speed of light you wouldn't travel through time because you would be traveling through space instead.
No, you wouldn't be going the speed of light because you have mass.

taybot said:
So if you were to sit out in space completely free from gravity, motionless, and you were wearing a watch, does that mean time would go faster?

Since you aren't traveling through space at all, wouldn't that mean you are traveling through time at light speed and wouldn't that mean your watch would go faster?
In in any inertial frame the rate of any watch's proper time wrt coordinate time would be given by:
[tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\frac{1}{\gamma}=\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

This expression indeed achieves a maximum of 1 for v=0.

not sure what that formula means but since you wrote indeed, I take it that the watch will tick faster if you are out in space, motionless...

So how much faster? I figure it wouldn't be that much faster than normal time that passes for us, right?

Because already if you are sitting somewhere, you're accelerating through space, just not accelerating that much I figure, so probably your watch wouldn't tick that much faster if you were out in space, motionless.

Is that right?

taybot said:
not sure what that formula means ...

So how much faster?
Sorry, I don't know I can answer you in a satisfactory manner then. The answer to "how much faster" is given by the formula.

not sure what that formula means but since you wrote indeed, I take it that the watch will tick faster if you are out in space, motionless...
What do you mean by motionless ? I think you are failing to take into account that phenomena like clocks slowing refer to observations from different frames of reference. You would not notice anything as long as your motion is uniform ( unaccelerated).

But someone traveling at uniform velocity relative to you would notice your clock apparently slowing.

You can never be motionless with respect to every reference frame. In some reference frame you are motionless, and in others you are moving. I don't think your question can obtain a satisfactory answer because one of your assumptions is wrong.

I read this book, The Fabric of the Cosmos and he says you can be motionless if you jump into a shaft that has air removed from it.

Even if you can't be motionless, you would be falling, pretty much motionless. Closer to motionless than when you are sitting in front of your computer, because if you're doing that, you're accelerating.

Anyways, let's say you jump into that airless shaft and you are falling, motionless, or almost motionless. And if you're wearing a watch, would it tick faster, or wouldn't it?Edit:

I looked at Dale's answer again and he says:

"The answer to "how much faster" is given by the formula."

So at least I know your watch would indeed tick faster. I was just wondering if it would tick twice as fast, or less. I don't know how to do that equation. Thanks!

DaleSpam said:
In in any inertial frame the rate of any watch's proper time wrt coordinate time would be given by:
[tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\frac{1}{\gamma}=\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

This expression indeed achieves a maximum of 1 for v=0.

taybot said:
... I looked at Dale's answer again and he says:

"The answer to "how much faster" is given by the formula."

So at least I know your watch would indeed tick faster. I was just wondering if it would tick twice as fast, or less. I don't know how to do that equation. Thanks!

The watch on your wrist always appears to tick at the same rate whether you are motionless far out in space or on the surface of a neutron star or in a rocket traveling at 0.999c relative to the Earth. It is the rate of other clocks moving relative to you or located at different heights in a gravitational field that appear to be running faster or slower than your own watch.

Using the equation given by Dale, the rate of a clock moving at at 0.866c relative to you is:

[tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\frac{1}{\gamma}=\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} = \sqrt{1-0.866^2} \approx 1/2 [/tex]

In other words the clock moving at 0.866c relative to you appears to be ticking twice as slow as your watch, but this factor of 2 only happens at this precise velocity relative to you. If the other clock was moving at 0.99498c relative to you, then the other clock would appear to be running 10 times slower than your own watch because:

[tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\frac{1}{\gamma}=\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} = \sqrt{1-0.99498^2} \approx 1/10 [/tex]

What would happen to your body in space?

If you were out in space, motionless, your body would begin to experience the effects of microgravity. This means that you would feel weightless as there is no gravitational force acting on your body. Over time, your muscles would begin to atrophy and your bones would lose density due to the lack of weight-bearing exercise. Additionally, without a spacesuit, your body would not be protected from the extreme temperatures and radiation of space.

Can you survive in space without a spacesuit?

No, it is not possible to survive in space without a spacesuit. The vacuum of space would cause the air to be sucked out of your lungs and body, leading to rapid decompression and death. The extreme temperatures and radiation in space would also make it impossible for your body to survive without proper protection.

Would you be able to see the stars in space?

Yes, in space you would have an unobstructed view of the stars and other celestial objects. However, without the atmosphere to filter out the light pollution, the stars may appear less bright and clear compared to viewing them from Earth.

How would you navigate without gravity in space?

In space, you would be able to navigate using different methods such as using the stars, planets, and other celestial objects as reference points. You could also use technology such as gyroscopes and accelerometers to determine your orientation and direction of movement.

Would you experience time differently in space?

Yes, due to the effects of general relativity, time would pass differently for someone in space compared to someone on Earth. This is because gravity can affect the rate at which time passes. In space, with less gravitational force, time would pass slightly faster compared to on Earth.