What is the evidence for geomagnetic reversal ?

• Thread starter rogerharris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evidence
In summary, the evidence for a geomagnetic reversal is found in the Mid Atlantic ridge, but it is not clear if this is evidence for a 180 degree reversal or just a pole wander.
geo101 said:
Do that mean I am the killer? :uhh:

Now we are getting into the territory of another thread...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=518080"

For the core you can completely ignore any ferro/ferri/antiferro/para/dia magnetic effects. The geomagnetic field is generated by the geodynamo. Because I am lazy, I'll copy paste from the other thread :tongue:

So what causes the field to reverse? The short answer is that we don't really know, but basically major changes in the convective regime are likely to cause reversals of the geomagnetic field. The heat flux across the core-mantle boundary, which the main driving force behind the thermal convection, will play a key role in this.

thanks geo. good clear explanation again. My inner Colombo feels at rest (for a while). I am guessing he will start coming out to play when I get into magnetohydrodynamics properly. I know from biophysics there is a lot of reaction diffusion going on in MHD.

Ok I am not getting into that today :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
billiards said:
Yes I do.

Why do you ask?

well actually I am interested in this as well. I mean i speed read and downloaded a lot of the papers and tomes i could get which are inked here, and was still trying to find that one conclusive ocean striping study or meta analysis.

I expected it would be something like this.

Geologists dig down and take a dozen deep crust samples from south to north pole with the sample rod marked with its compass points. These are all time synchronized and labeled, so a clear picture emerges with no doubt that the field has flipped 180 degrees across the polar axis on all the samples.

I still can't find this. Any pointers as to the seminal work which makes it undoubtedly clear ?

billiards said:
Yes I do.

Why do you ask?

Well, I was trying to avoid the necessity of explaining global geomagnetic reversal, hoping to associate sea-floor striping with local tectonic anomalies, similar to Etruscan vases and Israel copper slag. But you are definitive, and I appreciate that very much.

Respectfully,
Steve

rogerharris said:
well actually I am interested in this as well. I mean i speed read and downloaded a lot of the papers and tomes i could get which are inked here, and was still trying to find that one conclusive ocean striping study or meta analysis.

I expected it would be something like this.

Geologists dig down and take a dozen deep crust samples from south to north pole with the sample rod marked with its compass points. These are all time synchronized and labeled, so a clear picture emerges with no doubt that the field has flipped 180 degrees across the polar axis on all the samples.

I still can't find this. Any pointers as to the seminal work which makes it undoubtedly clear ?
It's an established science, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Anyway for those with an interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleomagnetism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetostratigraphy

And a discussion of where paleomagnetism is used for dating.

http://archserve.id.ucsb.edu/courses/anth/fagan/anth3/Courseware/Chronology/11_Paleomag_Archaeomag.html [Broken]

Any pointers as to the seminal work which makes it undoubtedly clear ?

Much of the seminal work is old, some going back over 100 hundred years. I would recommend reading through the book chapters that I suggested in post #23. First, they will give you a good overview of the weight of evidence. Second they will have most of the references that you are looking for. Essentially you are looking for papers like Matuyama (1929), who developed the first (albeit crude) global polarity timescale (GPTS, wiki/google search this). Or others like http://gsabulletin.gsapubs.org/content/96/11/1419.abstract"

Matuyama, M. (1929), On the direction of magnetisation of basalts in Japan, Tyosen and Manchuria, Proc. Imp. Acad. Jap., 5, 203-205.

geo101 said:
Much of the seminal work is old, some going back over 100 hundred years. I would recommend reading through the book chapters that I suggested in post #23. First, they will give you a good overview of the weight of evidence. Second they will have most of the references that you are looking for. Essentially you are looking for papers like Matuyama (1929), who developed the first (albeit crude) global polarity timescale (GPTS, wiki/google search this). Or others like http://gsabulletin.gsapubs.org/content/96/11/1419.abstract"

Matuyama, M. (1929), On the direction of magnetisation of basalts in Japan, Tyosen and Manchuria, Proc. Imp. Acad. Jap., 5, 203-205.
BTW, welcome to the forum geo101!

BTW, welcome to the forum geo101!

Cheers :smile:

geo101 said:

Ok thank. ill try and dig that up. The uni didnt have that book and google omits chapter 4. I am wary of forking out my grant if its not going to provide a specifically overwhelming case. I reckon i might know the seminal paper actually. if its overwhelmingly good i won't be back !

Evo said:
It's an established science, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for.

At last one paper where they take a load of samples across the entire earth, say what, 60 samples would be good i suppose to eliminate the errors but 20 would stll be something.

They then aggregate the samples and overwhelmingly find at least one reversal happening across the planet from north to south pole at the same time.

I haven't found such a paper yet, but i think it does exist and know somebody who can tell me where to find it :)

I have been vey surprised that others do not demand to see at least this baseline of evidence to consider reversal a credible theory.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v435/n7043/full/nature03674.html"

I'll write a better description in the morning. This is as "overwhelming" as you will get. What you have to remember is that establishment of geomagnetic reversals did not happen with one paper, but with hundreds of global records over a long period of time. The discovery of seafloor spreading and associated magnetic anomalies was the final nail in the coffin as it were.

geo101 said:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v435/n7043/full/nature03674.html"

I'll write a better description in the morning. This is as "overwhelming" as you will get. What you have to remember is that establishment of geomagnetic reversals did not happen with one paper, but with hundreds of global records over a long period of time. The discovery of seafloor spreading and associated magnetic anomalies was the final nail in the coffin as it were.

thanks ill see if i can get that. Nature articles are hard to get even at british universities.

Dotini said:
Well, I was trying to avoid the necessity of explaining global geomagnetic reversal, hoping to associate sea-floor striping with local tectonic anomalies, similar to Etruscan vases and Israel copper slag. But you are definitive, and I appreciate that very much.

Respectfully,
Steve

So because I believe the evidence you stop thinking?

I might be a "crank" or a "fool" or perhaps neither but still simply "wrong". Follow your own mind, convince yourself.

Now you have got me interested in the Etruscan vases and the Israel copper slag. I do not know anything about those.

Roger, this is a brief history with tons of references.

This article is a condensed history of the early evidence
of geomagnetic field reversals, showing some of the
achievements up to the end of the 1950s that led the way
for the acceptance of field reversals during the 1960s. It is
based upon a number of the original texts and the following
detailed sources: Bullard [1]; Glen [2]; Kristjánsson
[3, 4]; Didier & Roche [5]; Laj et al. [6]; Courtillot &
Le Mouël [7]; Kono [8]; Irving [9]. I would also like to
draw attention to Our Magnetic Earth by Merrill [10].

http://www.irm.umn.edu/quarterly/irmq20-3.pdf

I'll write a better description in the morning

Errr... is it morning?? :redface:
Better late than never.

So one thing that we didn't talk about so far is how the strength of the field changes as the field reverses. All of the available data tell us that the main dipole field drops to about 20% of it's pre-reversal strength. Again this is seen at various times and across the globe.

The Valet paper stacked together relative paleointensity (geomagnetic field strength) records over the past 2 million years from 10 globally distributed deep sea sediment core, essentially confirming that the lows associated with reversal are a global feature.

Evo - good catch on the IRM Quarterly, I miss that one

<h2>1. What is geomagnetic reversal?</h2><p>Geomagnetic reversal, also known as polarity reversal, is the process in which the Earth's magnetic field flips its direction. This means that the north and south magnetic poles switch places, causing compasses to point south instead of north.</p><h2>2. How do we know that geomagnetic reversals occur?</h2><p>Scientists have discovered evidence of geomagnetic reversals by studying the Earth's magnetic field in rocks. When molten lava cools and solidifies, it preserves the direction of the Earth's magnetic field at the time. By analyzing the magnetic properties of rocks from different time periods, scientists have been able to determine that geomagnetic reversals have occurred throughout Earth's history.</p><h2>3. How often do geomagnetic reversals happen?</h2><p>Geomagnetic reversals have occurred at irregular intervals throughout Earth's history. The average frequency is about once every 250,000 years, but there have been periods where reversals happened more frequently, and other periods where they did not occur for millions of years.</p><h2>4. What causes geomagnetic reversals?</h2><p>The exact cause of geomagnetic reversals is still a topic of ongoing research. Some theories suggest that it is due to changes in the Earth's internal structure, such as movements in the liquid outer core. Others propose that it is influenced by external factors, such as solar activity or collisions with other celestial bodies.</p><h2>5. How do geomagnetic reversals affect the Earth?</h2><p>Geomagnetic reversals do not have a significant impact on life on Earth. However, they can affect navigation systems that rely on the Earth's magnetic field, and they may also have an impact on certain animal behaviors that are influenced by magnetic fields, such as bird migration.</p>

1. What is geomagnetic reversal?

Geomagnetic reversal, also known as polarity reversal, is the process in which the Earth's magnetic field flips its direction. This means that the north and south magnetic poles switch places, causing compasses to point south instead of north.

2. How do we know that geomagnetic reversals occur?

Scientists have discovered evidence of geomagnetic reversals by studying the Earth's magnetic field in rocks. When molten lava cools and solidifies, it preserves the direction of the Earth's magnetic field at the time. By analyzing the magnetic properties of rocks from different time periods, scientists have been able to determine that geomagnetic reversals have occurred throughout Earth's history.

3. How often do geomagnetic reversals happen?

Geomagnetic reversals have occurred at irregular intervals throughout Earth's history. The average frequency is about once every 250,000 years, but there have been periods where reversals happened more frequently, and other periods where they did not occur for millions of years.

4. What causes geomagnetic reversals?

The exact cause of geomagnetic reversals is still a topic of ongoing research. Some theories suggest that it is due to changes in the Earth's internal structure, such as movements in the liquid outer core. Others propose that it is influenced by external factors, such as solar activity or collisions with other celestial bodies.

5. How do geomagnetic reversals affect the Earth?

Geomagnetic reversals do not have a significant impact on life on Earth. However, they can affect navigation systems that rely on the Earth's magnetic field, and they may also have an impact on certain animal behaviors that are influenced by magnetic fields, such as bird migration.