Solve Limit Question: Get Help Now

• Thread starter nesan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the student tried different methods to solve the limit but they all failed. They are lost and need help finding a solution.
nesan
Limit question, please help!?

Homework Statement

lim as x -> -1 of the function

(108 (x^2 + 2x)(x + 1)^3) / ((x^3 + 1)^3 (x - 1))

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried in like 10 different ways, came no where close to the answer. I just need someone to point me in the right direction, thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org

nesan said:

Homework Statement

lim as x -> -1 of the function

(108 (x^2 + 2x)(x + 1)^3) / ((x^3 + 1)^3 (x - 1))

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried in like 10 different ways, came no where close to the answer. I just need someone to point me in the right direction, thank you. :)
What were some of the ways you tried?

Show what you did so we can help you.

Direct substitution gives a 0 / 0.

First, I tried expanding the (x + 1) ^3

to

(x + 1) (x^2 - x + 1)

and (x^3 + 1)^3

to

(x^3 + 1) ((x^3)^2 - x^3 + 1)

That didn't help.

Second, I tried distributing the 108 and everything else on the top into one polynomial, which ended up in a mess.

I'm sure there's an easier way, I just can't seem to figure it out. :(

I tried to find ways to cancel out one term from the bottom, but it always ends up with the opposite sign in the top.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'll try to get the limit. :)

What is the degree of the polynomial in the numerator? What about the denominator?

Edit: use SammyS's advice. I read the problem wrong.

Last edited:

I only did the numerator, which has a degree of 5.

I only did the numerator because for some reason I though I could combine all and factor it in a different way, but it ended up in a mess and I lost track of everything. I don't think it is suppose to be this complex.

For example, it has a (x - 1) at the bottom but the closest I can come to matching it is (x + 1) at the top. :(

nesan said:

First, I tried expanding the (x + 1) ^3

to

(x + 1) (x^2 - x + 1)

and (x^3 + 1)^3

to

(x^3 + 1) ((x^3)^2 - x^3 + 1)
Well, those are incorrect.
(x + 1) (x2 - x + 1) = x3 + 1, not (x+1)3 .

(x + 1)3 = x3 + 3x2 + 3x + 1

That didn't help.

Second, I tried distributing the 108 and everything else on the top into one polynomial, which ended up in a mess.

I'm sure there's an easier way, I just can't seem to figure it out. :(

I tried to find ways to cancel out one term from the bottom, but it always ends up with the opposite sign in the top.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'll try to get the limit. :)

Factor the x3+1 in the denominator.
x3+1 = (x+1)(x2 - x + 1)​

Since the x3+1 in the denominator is cubed, that should give a factor in the denominator which cancels with (x+1)3 in the numerator.

SammyS said:
Well, those are incorrect.
(x + 1) (x2 - x + 1) = x3 + 1, not (x+1)3 .

(x + 1)3 = x3 + 3x2 + 3x + 1

Factor the x3+1 in the denominator.
x3+1 = (x+1)(x2 - x + 1)​

Since the x3+1 in the denominator is cubed, that should give a factor in the denominator which cancels with (x+1)3 in the numerator.

Sweet, got it. Thank you very much. :)

1. What is a limit question?

A limit question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the value that a function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a particular value, known as the limit. It is often used in calculus to analyze the behavior of functions and determine their maximum and minimum values.

2. How do I solve a limit question?

To solve a limit question, you need to follow a set of steps and rules. First, try to plug in the given value into the function to see if it produces a finite number. If it does, then that is the limit value. If not, you can try using algebraic manipulation, factoring, or simplifying the function to get a finite answer. If those methods do not work, you may need to use more advanced techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule or trigonometric identities.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving limit questions?

Some common mistakes when solving limit questions include forgetting to consider the direction of the limit (from the left or right side), not checking for existing limits, using incorrect algebraic manipulation, and forgetting to use special limit properties such as the Squeeze theorem. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of these potential errors.

4. When should I seek help for a limit question?

If you have attempted to solve a limit question and are still unsure of the correct answer or how to approach the problem, it may be time to seek help. You can consult with a tutor, teacher, or classmate for guidance and clarification. You can also look for online resources or practice problems to improve your understanding of limit questions.

5. How can understanding limit questions benefit me as a scientist?

Limit questions are commonly used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. Understanding how to solve them can help you analyze and predict the behavior of systems and functions. It can also aid in making accurate predictions and models, as well as interpreting and understanding data. Overall, having a strong understanding of limit questions can greatly benefit your scientific research and problem-solving skills.