Name of a song of Jean-Luc Ponty

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a song by Jean-Luc Ponty that was about 9 minutes long and featured a guitar and violin. It is described as a less jazzy song and may have been a collaboration with Al di Meola. The participants also mention several albums and songs by Ponty, but none match the description of the song in question.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi guys!
I can't remember nor find a song I listened about 2 or 3 years ago of Jean-Luc Ponty. The song was about 9 minutes long (I can be wrong on this, but approximately right). The first part of the song consisted of guitar and around the middle of the song the violin would start.
I'm currently listening to some songs with Al di Meola but the guitar sounds different than the one in the song I'm looking for.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an idea of whether the song is old or recent.

I have several albums from back in the 70s, e.g., Cosmic Messenger (1978) and A Taste of Passion (1979)

Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger

Don't Let the World Pass You By on the album Cosmic Messenger (Starts with guitar, base and electric organ with violin starting around 4:08)

Jean-luc Ponty - A Taste For Passion

Stay with me on the album A Taste for Passion

Tunes are typically ~ 4:30 - 6 minutes

9 minutes would be Parts 1, 2 and 3 of Enigmatic Ocean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately it is none of these songs :(
It's a less jazzy song. I remember the violin's first note was somehow very long. The song started slowly with the guitar. I used to listen to it on deezer until it got censured in the country I'm living in. I recently discovered grooveshark to listen to music, tried to find Jean-Luc Ponty's song but really do not find it.
I don't know if it's more recent than the songs you listed. Hmm...

Was it by Ponty off one of his albums, or what Ponty playing with someone like Dimeola or McLaughlin?

Was there any piano or organ/synth in it?

This song (Farewell on A Taste of Passion) is about 9 minutes - starts with guitar and percussion, and some piano, and violin comes in just before 3:00

Astronuc said:
Was it by Ponty off one of his albums, or what Ponty playing with someone like Dimeola or McLaughlin?
I don't know. I'm guessing he was playing with someone else like Dimeola.

This song (Farewell on A Taste of Passion) is about 9 minutes - starts with guitar and percussion, and some piano, and violin comes in just before 3:00

I don't remember any piano nor organ in the song (though I might be wrong). I just listened to several albums and they are all discarded. It isn't in A Taste of Passion.

Astronuc said:

Thanks Astronuc, that's one of my favorites by him. Here's another:

@ fluidistic,

I don't know what tune you're looking for. But the upside is that you'll listen to a lot of good music while looking for it. :smile:

Jean Luc Ponty Stay with me (one of my favorites, but not the tune in question)

Ponty did mostly jazz or fusion, and not really anything similar to rock and roll.

Another variation - Renaissance -

Astronuc said:
Jean Luc Ponty Stay with me (one of my favorites, but not the tune in question)

Ponty did mostly jazz or fusion, and not really anything similar to rock and roll.

Another variation - Renaissance -

Aha! I was just about to post in this thread about "Stay with me". Very good song indeed... I can literally listen to it over and over for hours.

I'm thinking if he did a tune with a guitar leading, then he was working with someone like Di Meola and Paco de Lucia.

1. What is the name of the song by Jean-Luc Ponty that features a violin solo?

The song is called "Mirage" and it is featured on Ponty's 1982 album "Mystical Adventures".

2. Which album by Jean-Luc Ponty contains the song "Enigmatic Ocean"?

The song "Enigmatic Ocean" is the title track of Ponty's 1977 album of the same name.

3. What is the meaning behind the song "New Country" by Jean-Luc Ponty?

The song "New Country" is meant to represent the excitement and wonder of exploring a new place or culture, specifically inspired by Ponty's travels to the United States.

4. Is the song "Cosmic Messenger" by Jean-Luc Ponty instrumental or does it have vocals?

The song "Cosmic Messenger" is an instrumental piece, featuring Ponty's signature fusion of jazz and rock elements.

5. When was the song "Renaissance" by Jean-Luc Ponty released and what album is it from?

The song "Renaissance" was released in 1975 and is featured on Ponty's album of the same name. It is considered one of his most popular and influential songs.