Question regarding Hall sensor/effect wrt q(VxB)

• Thread starter Lighthouse
  • Start date
In summary: However, the material of the sensor can affect the magnitude of the Hall voltage. In summary, the Hall effect is not affected by the velocity of the charge carriers and only depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the material of the sensor.
Lighthouse
If a make some basic assumptions about a standard hall probe I find, quite expectedly that the velocity of the charge carriers is of the order 10-5 m/s. In a hall probe measuring the Earth's magnetic field like the one in my phone this should be the velocity of the charge carriers with respect to the Earth's field (using q(VxB)). But it isn't not if I am walking around. If I include the velocity I'm giving the charge carriers then the sensor shouldn't work, but it does. Why is that?

I think its because the hall effect creates a compensating voltage across the voltage sensor as well as the hall sensor since both are moving in the same way but I'm not sure if that's easy to do. Ie is the hall voltage material dependent?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hall effect is based on the fact that a charge moving through a magnetic field will experience a force perpendicular to both the velocity and the magnetic field. When a current passes through a metal, the charge carriers (electrons or holes) are subject to a Lorentz force which causes them to drift in a direction perpendicular to both the electric field and magnetic field. This is what causes a voltage drop across the sensor. The Hall effect is independent of the velocity of the charge carriers, so it does not matter if you are walking around or not. The only thing that matters is the strength of the magnetic field and the magnitude of the current passing through the Hall Sensor.

1. What is a Hall sensor and how does it work?

A Hall sensor is a type of sensor that can measure magnetic fields. It works based on the Hall effect, which is the production of a voltage difference across an electrical conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field and current flows through it. The voltage difference is proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and magnetic field in the Hall effect?

In the Hall effect, the voltage difference (V) is directly proportional to both the strength of the magnetic field (B) and the current (I) flowing through the conductor. This relationship is represented by the equation V=IxB.

3. How is the Hall effect used in practical applications?

The Hall effect is used in a variety of applications, including position and speed sensors, electronic compasses, current measurement, and brushless DC motor control. It can also be used to measure the magnetic field strength in materials testing and quality control.

4. What is the significance of the Q factor in relation to the Hall effect?

The Q factor, also known as the quality factor, is a measure of the sensitivity and accuracy of a Hall sensor. A higher Q factor means that the sensor can detect smaller changes in magnetic field strength, making it more precise.

5. How does temperature affect the accuracy of a Hall sensor?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the accuracy of a Hall sensor. In some cases, it can cause drift in the sensor's output, leading to inaccurate readings. To minimize this effect, temperature compensation techniques can be used, or the sensor can be calibrated at different temperatures.