Mosquitoes that bite you indoors - subsequent behavior?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide, and repellents with low concentrations of diethytoluamide (DEET) are effective.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
After a female mosquito that is inside a house feeds on the blood of a human occupant is there any mosquito behavior that helps it successfully get outside to lay its eggs?

(Or are there suitable places inside most homes where mosquito eggs can be laid? In the the USA, the only common indoor sources of stagnant that come to mind are the drain traps of infrequently used plumbing.)

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not understanding, you don't plan to whack it, you want it to lay eggs?

Evo said:
I'm not understanding, you don't plan to whack it, you want it to lay eggs?

The question isn't "What to do about mosquitoes indoors?". Besides, they can bite you while you're asleep.

Hmm.

Try this. Female mosquitoes - excluding a few species - are seldom found more than a mile or so from where they were larvae. Mosquitoes are not great fliers, and get blown around by even mild breezes. So if a female gets a blood meal only at that point do eggs begin to develop. She has several days to find suitable habitat, and will persist looking until she dies or finds a suitable small blob of still water.

When out looking, she is at the mercy of the vagaries of wind currents to some degree.

This is a wobbly answer to a wobbly question. I'd refer you to a better site if I had a clue... this is one aimed at everybody. However it is California-centric:

http://www.mosquitoes.org/LifeCycle.html#anchor31858 [Broken]

If you have mosquitoes, there must be standing water nearby at least part of the year. Do you want behaviors, population estimates and vectors, control measures?

Last edited by a moderator:
If only they'd fly out when they'd had their meal! I always wonder why they keep on stinging and have even tried letting them have a good filling just to be able to sleep.

The other day I was in the house of my landlord, who was out for several weeks. The thing I found in the toilet bowl... yuck, it was crawling with larvae (and I was hoping they were mosquitos).

From Jim's link:

Aedes mosquitoes are painful and persistent biters, attacking during daylight hours (not at night). They do not enter dwellings, and they prefer to bite mammals like humans.

Culex mosquitoes are painful and persistent biters also, but prefer to attack at dusk and after dark, and readily enter dwellings for blood meals. Domestic and wild birds are preferred over man, cows, and horses.

I'd think that the behavior to enter or avoid dwellings is based on the outcome of simpler behaviors (like attraction to artificial light), not on the fact that the mosquito understands what a dwelling is.

Mosquitoes identify a meal from as much as 200m+ away. Some species primarily detect CO2, other species detect compounds like pheromones and octenol as well as CO2. One of the big reasons to avoid perfumes, cologne and makeup in general.

from: http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publichealth/insects/mosquito.html

Female mosquitoes detect carbon dioxide emitted from warm-blooded animals over long distances. As a female flies upwind to a host, other cues play a role, including vision, moist air currents arising from a host, and specific odors emitted by a host. Mosquito repellents appear to act by masking the odor cues or by direct repellency to approaching females. Repellent products containing low concentrations (approx. 20-30%) of diethytoluamide (DEET) are known to be effective. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently recommended products containing picaridin and lemon of eucalyptus as alternatives to DEET. Various other compounds such as citronella, garlic, and vitamin B are purported to be effective repellents, but research does not support this.

See Mom? Not taking a bath a for a week at camp was a good idea. You develop a protective crust which slows detection, speeds up selecting clean campers for a meal

1. Why do mosquitoes bite me indoors?

Mosquitoes bite people indoors because they are attracted to the carbon dioxide and warmth that humans emit. They are also drawn to the scent of sweat and the presence of lactic acid on our skin. They may also enter buildings through open doors or windows.

2. Is there a difference in behavior between mosquitoes that bite indoors and outdoors?

Mosquitoes that bite indoors tend to have a different behavior pattern than those that bite outdoors. They are more likely to rest on surfaces and walls instead of flying around, and they may also feed more frequently due to the constant availability of hosts indoors.

3. Can mosquitoes that bite indoors transmit diseases?

Yes, mosquitoes that bite indoors can transmit diseases just like those that bite outdoors. Some common diseases transmitted by mosquitoes include malaria, dengue fever, and West Nile virus. It is important to take precautions to prevent being bitten by mosquitoes, especially indoors.

4. How can I prevent mosquitoes from biting me indoors?

To prevent mosquitoes from biting you indoors, you can use screens on windows and doors to keep them out. You can also use mosquito repellent sprays or lotions on your skin. Keeping your home clean and free of standing water can also help reduce the number of mosquitoes indoors.

5. What should I do if I am bitten by a mosquito indoors?

If you are bitten by a mosquito indoors, wash the area with soap and water to reduce the risk of infection. You can also apply calamine lotion or use an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream to relieve itching. If you experience any severe reactions or symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.