Is 0<d,l<1 equivalent to writing separately 0<d<1 and 0<l<1 ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the shorthand notation "0<d,l<1" in scientific writing and whether it is equivalent to writing "0<d<1" and "0<l<1" separately. Some participants agreed that the comma in "0<d,l<1" could potentially be interpreted as separating the two statements, while others argued that it is a commonly used notation and should be clear to readers. Ultimately, it was suggested to use "d,l \in (0,1)" to avoid any potential misunderstandings.
FortzaParis
Is "0<d,l<1" equivalent to writing separately "0<d<1" and "0<l<1"?

Dear all, I'm writing a paper for a scientific journal and I need to save as much typographic space as I can. In a proposition, I need to specify that the parameters "d" and "l" assume values between zero and one. I am wondering if (in scientific writing) is it correct to write "0<d,l<1", instead of writing separately "0<d<1" and "0<l<1". Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
FortzaParis said:
Dear all, I'm writing a paper for a scientific journal and I need to save as much typographic space as I can. In a proposition, I need to specify that the parameters "d" and "l" assume values between zero and one. I am wondering if (in scientific writing) is it correct to write "0<d,l<1", instead of writing separately "0<d<1" and "0<l<1". Thanks!

I've been using the shorthand form like that for years now, and no professors of mine have ever complained about it. In fact, from my recollection, I've seen some professors use the short form while others don't.

The way I see it, if it is clear to the reader and doesn't need moments to be deciphered, it's good enough to use.

Thanks, Mentallic!

I would personally interpret that as 0<d and l<1, but I don't know if this is common. The comma seems to separate the two statements "0<d" and "l<1".

What about [tex]d,l \in (0,1)[/tex]?

I also would tend to interpret "0< d,l< 1" as "0< d< 1" and "0< l< 1" or "both d and l are between 0 and 1". If you mean 0< d and l< 1, grammatically, you should have the word "and" between them, not a comma.

How would one interpret the sentence "0<d, l<1 and p>3"?

This is probably an insignificant issue, but grammatically commas are used to separate things.

I tend to agree with HOI here, but the context does matter. If this was part of a statement that disregardthat proposes, I would lean the other way.

But if there was no listing of relations, and the comma appeared instead of an and, there would be no reason to write something that way unless you meant what the OP intended.

I often write ##0<d,l<1## to mean ##0<d<1## and ##0<l<1##. I've also seen it in a lot of mathematical texts, so I guess it's standard.

I agree with micromass, it (or in equivalent circumstances) is used regularly in school level maths

disregardthat said:
I would personally interpret that as 0<d and l<1, but I don't know if this is common. The comma seems to separate the two statements "0<d" and "l<1".

What about [tex]d,l \in (0,1)[/tex]?

Dear all, thanks for the suggestions! I think I will write [tex]d,l \in (0,1)[/tex] so that there is no possibility of misunderstanding.

disregardthat said:
The comma seems to separate the two statements "0<d" and "l<1".

Personally, the reason I wouldn't interpret it like that is because it would be a very odd way to do it.
0<d,l<1 is a quite commonly used expression, while it's very uncommon to put the variable of an unbounded inequality on the right side. 0<d would most often than not be d>0.

1. Is it necessary to write 0

Yes, it is necessary to write 0

2. Can I use either notation interchangeably?

No, you cannot use the notations interchangeably. Writing 0

3. Is there a difference in the meaning between the two notations?

Yes, there is a difference in meaning between the two notations. Writing 0

4. Are there any situations where using one notation is more appropriate than the other?

Yes, there are situations where using one notation is more appropriate than the other. If the goal is to emphasize the relationship between d and l, then writing 0

5. How does using the two notations affect mathematical operations?

Using the two notations does not affect mathematical operations. Both notations convey the same information and can be used in mathematical equations interchangeably. However, it is important to be consistent in notation within a given equation or problem.