What Causes Beta Decay to Be More Common in Heavy Elements?

A summary, The conversation discusses the question of why B^- decay is more common among heavy elements than B^+ or electron capture decays. Two possible explanations are given, including the fact that the energy gap for electron emission may not work for electron capture, and that the rate of decay depends on the density of electron wave functions at the nucleus. It is also mentioned that the decay rate of some atoms can be affected by chemical conditions.
pyo
Hey i was just wondering if anyone could help me out and shed some light into " why is B^- decay (emission of an electron) far more common among the heavy elements than the B^+ (emission of a positron) or electron capture decays?" I am looking at a plot of Z vs. N for various nuclei and believe it is the focal point of this question and how the positron of nuclei is moved by each type of decay but i still cannot see why the Beta ^- decay is the far more common type. What am i missing here? thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? We can't solve your homework for you, but I think I can give you two effects to think about.

The B^- decay must always create an electron and that means that an energy gap that works for electron capture doesn't work for electron emission.

If the energy released in the decay is less than the mass of an electron, then the B^+ decay can only be an electron capture and not an emission of a positron. That means that the rate will depend on the density of the electron wave functions at the nucleus.

By the way, this last fact means that the decay rate of some atoms depends on the chemical conditions of the atom. In particular, if you strip off all the electrons, you can suppress electron absorbtion and transform a radioactive atom into a stable one.

Carl

Last edited:

1. Why is beta decay more common than alpha decay or gamma decay?

Beta decay is more common because it involves smaller changes in the nucleus compared to alpha decay or gamma decay. In alpha decay, two protons and two neutrons are emitted, causing a larger change in the nucleus. In gamma decay, a high-energy photon is emitted, but this does not cause a change in the number of protons or neutrons. Therefore, beta decay is more likely to occur as it is a smaller change in the nucleus.

2. What causes beta decay to occur?

Beta decay occurs due to the instability of certain nuclei. Nuclei with an imbalance of protons and neutrons are more likely to undergo beta decay in order to achieve a more stable state. This process involves the conversion of a neutron into a proton or vice versa, along with the emission of a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) and a neutrino.

3. Can beta decay be predicted?

Beta decay is a random process and therefore cannot be predicted for individual atoms. However, scientists can calculate the overall probability of a specific type of beta decay occurring within a certain time period for a large number of atoms.

4. What is the role of the weak nuclear force in beta decay?

The weak nuclear force is responsible for beta decay. This force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is involved in the process of nuclear transmutation, where one element is transformed into another. In beta decay, the weak nuclear force is responsible for the conversion of a neutron into a proton or vice versa, along with the emission of a beta particle and a neutrino.

5. Are there different types of beta decay?

Yes, there are two types of beta decay: beta-minus decay and beta-plus decay. In beta-minus decay, a neutron is converted into a proton, emitting an electron and an antineutrino. In beta-plus decay, a proton is converted into a neutron, emitting a positron and a neutrino. Both types of beta decay involve the emission of a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) and a neutrino, but the initial nucleus and the resulting nucleus are different.