Proving $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary: But since we're expanding about w = 0, it's true for all complex numbers z with |z| < 1.In summary, to prove that \frac {1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}), we can use a geometric series expansion and replace z with \frac {z-i}{1-i}. The restriction for z is that its absolute value must be less than 1.
Gale
[tex] \frac {1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}[/tex]
we have to prove that, its our problem. So we start and we get,
[tex] \frac {1}{1-z} = \frac {1}{(1-i)-(z-i)} = \frac {1}{1-i} (\frac {1}{1- \frac {z-i}{1-i}})[/tex]
and then i think we're supposed to go to a power series or something, but i don't know, I'm not sure how to get to there, from here. help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use a Taylor series but it's also equivalent to a Binomial expansion which you should be able to handle.

Here's a third way:

[tex]\frac {1}{1-x} = \frac {1-x+x}{1-x} = 1 + \frac {x}{1-x}[/tex]

and continue to replace the [itex]\frac {1}{1-x}[/itex] with [itex]1 + \frac {x}{1-x}[/itex] on the right side to obtain the desired expansion. Notice that -1 < x < 1 is required for convergence.

does it matter then that z is a complex variable? it doesn't seem to make sense to say -1< z <1 if z is complex right? so then?

and anyway, it says to use taylor series...

[tex] \frac {1}{1-z} = \frac {1}{1-i} (\frac {1}{1- \frac {z-i}{1-i}})[/tex]

Apply geometric series expansion to the right hand side. QED.

Gale said:
does it matter then that z is a complex variable? it doesn't seem to make sense to say -1< z <1 if z is complex right? so then?

Then you'd talk about bounds on |z|

Gale said:
and anyway, it says to use taylor series...

have you tried directly finding the power series of 1/(1-z)? What point do you want to expand it about?

Alright, so i guess, [tex]\frac {1}{1-i} (\frac {1}{1- \frac {z-i}{1-i}})= \frac {1}{1-i} (1 + \frac {z-i}{1-i} +({ \frac {z-i}{1-i})^2 + ... + (\frac{z-i}{1-i})^n ) = \frac {1}{1-i} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(\frac {1}{1- \frac {z-i}{1-i}})^n= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}= \frac {1}{1-z} [/tex]

look about right? I've never done series much before, so i was just a bit lost, but i think that seems right if i use the power series as mentioned.

only question: are there restrictions on z? I'm not really sure how to find them if so.

Last edited:
Gale,

That is correct. It would simplify matters to replace [itex]\frac {z-i}{1-i}[/itex] with something like [itex]w[/itex] (call it whatever you want) so that you are expanding [itex]\frac {1}{1-w}[/itex] in your original equation. Then replace [itex]w[/itex] with [itex]\frac {z-i}{1-i}[/itex] when you're done.

And, yes, there is a restriction on z which amounts to the absolute value of [itex]w[/itex] being less than 1.

1. What is the equation $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$ used for?

The equation $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$ is used in mathematics to represent a geometric series. It can be used to find the sum of an infinite number of terms, as long as the ratio between consecutive terms is less than 1.

2. How do you prove the equation $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$?

The equation $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$ can be proved using the method of mathematical induction. This involves showing that the equation holds for a base case (usually n = 0) and then showing that if it holds for a particular value of n, it also holds for n+1.

3. What is the significance of the term $(z-i)^n$ in the equation $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$?

The term $(z-i)^n$ represents the nth term in the geometric series. It is raised to the power of n because the terms in a geometric series increase in value as the power of the term increases.

4. Why is the term $(1-i)^{n+1}$ used in the denominator of the equation $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$?

The term $(1-i)^{n+1}$ is used in the denominator because it is the common ratio between consecutive terms in a geometric series. This ensures that the series converges to a finite value.

5. Can the equation $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$ be used for all values of z?

The equation $\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac {(z-i)^n}{(1-i)^{n+1}}$ can only be used for values of z that are less than 1. This is because the geometric series will only converge if the ratio between consecutive terms is less than 1.