Water Interactions, Moderation, and Cohesion in Nature Explained

• Thread starter Swede98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary: I would like to note that I have answered many questions on my extra credit already and I have googled for some of these answers and found nothing that helps. So i relied on fourms. Can you help me with these questions now please?No, sorry. I'm not able to help you with these questions.
Swede98
I would like to know the answers for these questions for my ridiculously hard extra credit.
I have researched these questions and found little information and I really don't know what else to do (I need these points bad)
1. How does water interact with other molecules (give examples too please)
2. How does water moderate the effects of temperature changes and what causes water molecules too speed up at a slower rate.
3.How does cohesion help tall trees (I know it involves water moving up the tree)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What made you so curious about water all the sudden? You mention cohesion...what is cohesion? You can start by showing some investigational work, before we guide you along, for these homework problems. Read about PF's homework policy.

Cohesion is what happends in a straw when the like particles attract each other and pull each other closer together. Yes this is extra credit that was way too hard for me. I apologize for not mentioning that. I would like to note that I have answered many questions on my extra credit already and I have googled for some of these answers and found nothing that helps. So i relied on fourms. Can you help me with these questions now please ?

You need to look at the specific properties of water.

IE)
Is H2O a polar/nonpolar molecule?

What is water's thermal conductivity?
Compared to other substances?

3.How does cohesion help tall trees (I know it involves water moving up the tree)

You already answered this yourself.:wink:

Swede98 said:
I would like to know the answers for these questions for my ridiculously hard extra credit.
I have researched these questions and found little information and I really don't know what else to do (I need these points bad)
1. How does water interact with other molecules (give examples too please)

Honestly, these questions can be found explicitly in your text, so they don't look like extra credit to me. I'm not deliberately being condenscending here...you don't need the internet, just your text.

Is this in references to water interacting with each other? If so what kind of bond(s) do you need to take into account.

If it is in reference to other molecules, you'll need to consider all interactions which involve a dipole. I'll get you started

dipole-dipole
dipole-induced dipole

ring a bell so far?

If this is in reference to the hydration of molecules by water, such as with charged compounds, browse through your text I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a picture of what appears to be water surrounding a charged molecule in an ordered fashion (depending on if it's a cation or an anion).

2. How does water moderate the effects of temperature changes and what causes water molecules too speed up at a slower rate.

If you're near the coast (near the ocean), what is water's role in regulating the temperature? This question pertains to the water's specific heat.

Technically, there's a limit to how far water can move up a tree through the capillary effect. For very tall trees, with the aid of the wind, the tree swings back and forth and this gets the water towards the top.

What is the capillary effect? Refer to your text.

1. What is the meaning of "A few general questions"?

"A few general questions" refers to a set of questions that are broad in nature and do not focus on a specific topic or subject. These questions are often used to gather general information or to start a conversation.

2. How many questions are typically included in "A few general questions"?

The number of questions included in "A few general questions" can vary, but it usually consists of around 5-10 questions. This allows for a good balance between gathering enough information and not overwhelming the person being asked.

3. What is the purpose of asking "A few general questions"?

The purpose of asking "A few general questions" is to gather information or initiate a conversation in a broad and non-specific way. This can be helpful in getting to know someone, conducting a survey, or starting a discussion on a certain topic.

4. Can you give an example of "A few general questions"?

Some examples of "A few general questions" include: "What are your interests?", "Tell me about yourself.", "What do you like to do in your free time?", "What are your thoughts on current events?", "What are some of your favorite things?"

5. Are "A few general questions" useful in a scientific research setting?

Yes, "A few general questions" can be useful in a scientific research setting. They can be used to gather preliminary information or to get a general understanding of a topic before diving into more specific questions. They can also be helpful in starting a conversation with participants and making them feel more comfortable during a research study.