Exploring Series and Logarithmic Functions

In summary, there are Taylor series that converge to logarithmic functions and the traditional bell curve. The derivation of "e^[i(pi)] = -1" involves a series that converges to e, specifically the Taylor series for e. Replacing x with ix gives the Taylor series for cos(x) and sin(x), which leads to the result of e^[i(pi)] = -1.
Quadratic
Just a few things that I've been thinking about lately:

Are there any taylor/power series that converge to logarithmic functions (f(x)=log(x), etc.)? How would you do this?

Is there any series that will graph the traditional bell curve? How would you do this?

I remember the derivation of "e^[i(pi)] = -1" involved a series that converged to e. What series was that again?

Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are Taylor series that converge to log(x) etc. but they are not defined for all x. Since ln x is not defined for x<= 0, The Taylor series for ln x around x= a will only converge for 0< x< 2a.

The "traditional bell curve" is given by [itex]y= e^{-x^2}[/itex].
Take the Taylor's series for ex:
[tex] 1+ x+ \frac{1}{2}x^2+ ...+ /frac{1}{n!}x^n+ ... [/tex]
and replace x by -x2:
[tex]1- x^2+ \frac{1}{2}x^4- \frac{1}{3!}x^6+ ...+ \frac{(-1)^n}{n!}x^{2n}+...[/tex]

The series that converges to ex (not just e) is the Taylor's series for e I just mentioned:
[tex]e^x= 1+ x+ \frac{1}{2}x^2+ ...+ \frac{1}{n!}x^n+...[/itex]

If you replace x by ix you get
[tex]e^{ix}= 1+ ix- \frac{1}{2}(ix)^2+ \frac{1}{3!}+ ...[/tex]
[tex]= 1+ ix- \frac{1}{2}x^2- \frac{1}{3!}ix^3+ ...[/tex]
Separating that into real and imaginary parts gives
[tex]e^{ix}= (1- \frac{1}{2}x^2+...)+ i(x- \frac{1}{3!}x^3+ ...)[/tex]
which you can recognize as being the Taylor's series for cos(x) and sin(x):
eix= cos(x)+ i sin(x). Since [itex]cos(\pi)= -1[/itex] and [itex]sin(\pi)= 0[/itex], that gives [itex]e^{i\pi}= -1[/itex].

Thanks a bunch, Halls.

1. What are series and logarithmic functions?

Series and logarithmic functions are types of mathematical functions that involve numbers being raised to a certain power. Series functions involve adding or subtracting the values of a sequence, while logarithmic functions involve finding the exponent needed to raise a base number to get a given value.

2. What is the purpose of exploring series and logarithmic functions?

The purpose of exploring series and logarithmic functions is to better understand the patterns and relationships between numbers and how they can be manipulated using these types of functions. This can also help in solving more complex mathematical problems and equations.

3. How are series and logarithmic functions used in real life?

Series and logarithmic functions are used in various fields such as finance, economics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze data, make predictions, and solve real-world problems involving growth, decay, and patterns.

4. What are some common applications of series and logarithmic functions?

Some common applications of series and logarithmic functions include calculating compound interest, modeling population growth, predicting stock market trends, and analyzing radioactive decay. These functions also have applications in signal processing, computer science, and data compression.

5. What are the key properties of series and logarithmic functions?

The key properties of series and logarithmic functions include the ability to manipulate the values of a sequence using different operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Logarithmic functions also have specific properties, such as the product, quotient, and power rules, that allow for simplification and solving of equations.