Help Solving Precalculus Cot x + Tan x + 1 Problem

• Thread starter pasatom20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving cotangent, tangent, and fractions. The suggested approach is to convert the right-hand side to sines and cosines, add the fractions, and simplify. Another option is to use the fact that tan x = 1 / cot x. Various steps and attempts are mentioned, but the final solution is not clear.
pasatom20
Can anyone help me sove this problem?

cot x + tan x + 1 = (cot x / 1 - tan x) + (tan x / 1 - cot x)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
convert the right hand sides to sines and cosines, add the fractions, and simplify. or you could use the fact that tan x = 1 / cot x

Last edited:
Since right hand side is more complex, I think we should start from that side, then arrive at the left hand side.

We can use the properties of that cot x is the reciprocal of tan x, too.

Here is what i got by working on the right hand side.

(cot x / 1- (sin x / cos x)) + (tan x / 1 - (cos x / sinx)) = (cot x / (cos x - sin x / cos x)) + (tan x / (sin x - cos x / sin x))

then i tried several different ways to work on the problem from this step, but it never worked.

convert the numerators to sines and cosines as well.

here is what i got

(cos x / sin x ) / (cos x - sin x / cos x ) + (sin x / cos x) / (sin x - cos x / sin x)
= (cos x / sin x )*(cos x / cos x - sin x) + (sin x / cos x)*(sin x / sin x - cos x)
= (cos ^2 x / cos x - sin^2 x) + (sin^2 x / sin x - cos^2 x)
= (sin^2 x - 1 / cos x - sin^2 x ) + (cos^2 x - 1 / sin x - cos^2 x)
I tried to work on the problem until i got to this step, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.

use the identity tan x = 1 / cot x instead.

So [tex] \cot x + \tan x + 1 = \frac{\cot x}{1- \frac{1}{\cot x}} [/tex] etc..

Last edited:

1. What is precalculus?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concepts and principles necessary for the study of calculus. It includes topics such as functions, equations, and graphs.

2. Why is precalculus important?

Precalculus is important because it lays the foundation for understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems, particularly in calculus and other higher-level math courses.

3. What are some common topics covered in precalculus?

Some common topics covered in precalculus include algebraic expressions, equations and inequalities, functions and their graphs, trigonometry, and analytic geometry.

4. How can I improve my skills in precalculus?

Improving your skills in precalculus requires practice and persistence. It is important to review and understand the fundamental concepts and regularly practice solving problems.

5. Where can I find resources for precalculus homework problems?

There are many online resources available for precalculus homework problems, such as textbooks, practice worksheets, and video tutorials. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a specific problem.