Bragg equation to determine the lattice constants

In summary, the individuals are discussing the search for a table of values for lattice constants of various materials, such as NaCl and LiF. The speaker mentions googling for the values and finding consistent results for each material. They also note that these values are commonly listed by materials experts.
Bladibla
Does anyone have a link or know a website where there is a table of values of lattice constants for NaCl, LiF etc?

I'm asking because I was supposed to be provided with a table of values for writing my lab report, but unfortunately the lecturer seemed to have got 'array'.

Any help and information on this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I googled both "lattice constant NaCl" and "lattice constant LiF" etc.

I'm seeing the values pop up -- just do them one at a time.. and make sure that the values you find for each are consistent on a couple websites. Ex. I'm finding 5.65 angstroms for NaCl, and 4.03 angstroms for LiF. These seem to be common optical materials... and therefore made by a lot of materials people that are good at listing this info.

What is the Bragg equation?

The Bragg equation is a mathematical formula used to determine the lattice spacing (also known as lattice constant) of a crystal structure. It was developed by William Henry Bragg and William Lawrence Bragg in 1913.

How does the Bragg equation work?

The Bragg equation uses the diffraction pattern produced by X-rays or electrons passing through a crystal to calculate the distance between lattice planes. It is based on the principle of constructive interference, where the diffracted waves from different planes of atoms in the crystal reinforce each other, resulting in a strong diffraction signal.

What are the variables in the Bragg equation?

The Bragg equation has three variables: n, λ, and d. n represents the order of the diffraction peak, λ is the wavelength of the incident radiation, and d is the distance between the lattice planes. It can be written as nλ = 2d sinθ, where θ is the angle of diffraction.

What is the significance of the Bragg equation in crystallography?

The Bragg equation is a fundamental tool in crystallography, as it allows scientists to determine the lattice constants of a crystal structure. These constants provide important information about the arrangement of atoms in a crystal, which is crucial for understanding its properties and behavior.

Are there any limitations to the Bragg equation?

Although the Bragg equation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the crystal is perfectly ordered and that the atoms are arranged in a regular pattern. In reality, most crystals have some degree of imperfection, which can affect the accuracy of the lattice constants calculated using the Bragg equation.