Energy and calculating vaporization of water

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the time taken to reach boiling temperature and to vaporize all the water using a 12V battery with an electric current of 13A. The specific heat of water is given as 4200 J kg -1 C -1 and the equations I=Q/T and P=iV are mentioned as possible ways to solve the problem. The conversation also suggests using a process model with ODEs and a component balance to focus on energy and temperature terms.
jacqui

Homework Statement

I have a certain amount of water, which is heated by a 12V battery, which has an electric current of 13A. I need to work out the time taken to reach boiling temp, where the specific heat of water is given as 4200 J kg -1 C -1? Also need to know how to calculate the time taken to vaporize all the water using the standard latent heat of vaporization?

Homework Equations

I = Q/T for the first part in working out the time taken to boil the water, but not sure?

The second part working out vaporization and the time to vaporize water, really no idea? Please help or offer some guidance.

The Attempt at a Solution

As Above... Sorry its all a bit vague...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forums,

Okay, do you know any expressions for electrical power?

a few, mostly this one:

P = /\Ee
____
t = I/\V

this is the equation I think electrical energy to convert into other forms of energy, but not sure where time and vaporization come in?

Okay, the expression I'm looking for is P=iV, which we can re-write as Q = iVt. This means the amount of heat energy (Q) that the circuit supplies to the water in a time t is Q = iVt. Does that help?

Its something for me to look at, I'll do a load more reading tonight. Thanks for the insight, anything helps at the moment, all the equations seem to roll into one!

Just do a Process modell using ODE'S

Input-output=accumulation.

Do it a component balance so only use energy & temp

1. How is energy involved in the process of vaporization?

Energy is required for water to change from its liquid state to a gaseous state, also known as vaporization. This energy is used to break the intermolecular bonds between water molecules and overcome the forces of attraction between them.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy needed for vaporization?

The main factors that affect the amount of energy needed for vaporization are the temperature of the water, the pressure of the surrounding environment, and the amount of water present. Higher temperatures and lower pressures require more energy for vaporization, while larger volumes of water require more energy due to the increased number of molecules present.

3. How is the energy required for vaporization calculated?

The energy required for vaporization can be calculated using the formula Q = mL, where Q represents the energy in joules, m is the mass of water in grams, and L is the specific heat of vaporization for water (2260 J/g). This formula assumes that the water is at its boiling point and there is no change in temperature during the vaporization process.

4. How does the process of vaporization affect the temperature of water?

During the process of vaporization, the temperature of water remains constant until all of the water has been converted into vapor. This is because the energy is being used to break the intermolecular bonds between water molecules rather than increasing the temperature.

5. Can the energy required for vaporization be reduced?

Yes, the energy required for vaporization can be reduced by increasing the temperature of the water or decreasing the pressure of the surrounding environment. This is why water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes, where the air pressure is lower. Additionally, substances such as salt can be added to water to increase its boiling point, reducing the amount of energy needed for vaporization.