Are new planets and stars still forming?

In summary, astronomers have observed rich clouds of gas where young stars are getting started and have been able to photograph a new star that hadn't been seen before. It is likely that this occurs fairly infrequently and is an unlikely observation.
moe darklight
I was showering and I realized I have no clue... all you read about is HOW they form, but I've never read whether they are still forming or not...

Space news on Phys.org
moe darklight said:
I was showering and I realized I have no clue... all you read about is HOW they form, but I've never read whether they are still forming or not...

they are still forming

rich clouds of gas where young stars are getting started have been observed and photographed
I don't happen to have links to photographs of star-forming regions in our galaxy, but others here may have some and they
might post them so you can see for yourself

about planets, I recently read about a star having been observed to have crud around it that hadn't collected yet into planets, but that whole business is harder to observe with today's instruments

still, I think you can take for granted that plenty of planets are currently being formed, because stars are
and because a large percentage of stars are observed to have planets
so if there are new stars, there ought reasonably to be new planets forming as well.

Last edited:
lol thank.

marcus said:
they are still forming

rich clouds of gas where young stars are getting started have been observed and photographed

Is there an example or two yet where astronomers have looked at those rich clouds of gas and actually observed a new star that hadn't been seen before? Or does the timescale for how frequently a new star "turns on" along with the problems of seeing through those rich clouds of gas where they are forming make this an unlikely observation?

PhysicsDilettante said:
Is there an example or two yet where astronomers have looked at those rich clouds of gas and actually observed a new star that hadn't been seen before? Or does the timescale for how frequently a new star "turns on" along with the problems of seeing through those rich clouds of gas where they are forming make this an unlikely observation?

I have to rely on what the professionals say is happening in these pictures.
to get a satisfactory answer you should ask Spacetiger.
I think that they arent able to watch evolution over time, only look at a star-formation region and identify stars that look like they are just forming.
I think you are right to imagine that the timescale is too slow to do more than that. But you should check with one of the pros.

http://astro.nineplanets.org/twn/n1976x.html

I would imagine the way in which nuclear fusion started in a new star would be quite abrupt and noticeable on the time scale of human observation. Probably within a day, like a nova or supernova. However, I don't think I've ever heard or read of anyone observing this.

In the Orion nebulae we can observe the shockwave of newly ignited stars blowing out hollow bubbles in the surrounding cloud of gas and dust. The size of the bubble would allow us to use the average speed of solar winds to calculate just how long ago the star ignited.

The Orion nebulae is the star forming region closest to Earth and most readily observable. However, we can also observe entire regions of other galaxies where new stars are forming.

there's still enough clumped matter in the universe.

Although stars turn-on quite quickly they are usually formed in dense clouds so it is difficult to see early stage stars.
You can see a little way into the cloud in infrared, but generally you can't resolve individual stars in a star forming region until they have lived for long enough to have blown off the cloud material.

Microwave and radio observations have found a few stars < few 1000 years old.

Stars and accompanying planets are forming in this galaxy as we speak. In about 4.6 billion years, we will be chatting with their inhabitants . . . HELP! OUR SUN IS ABOUT TO GO RED GIANT! We will probably still be fighting amongst ourselves and too self absorbed to have made constructive progess towards resolution of more serious problems.

Last edited:

1. How do new planets and stars form?

New planets and stars form through a process called accretion, where particles of gas and dust in a nebula come together due to gravitational attraction. As the particles collide and stick together, they grow larger and eventually form into planets or stars.

2. What is the main source of energy for new stars?

The main source of energy for new stars is nuclear fusion, where the intense gravitational pressure and heat in the core of a star causes hydrogen atoms to fuse together and form helium, releasing a tremendous amount of energy.

3. Are new planets and stars forming in our galaxy?

Yes, new planets and stars are constantly forming in our galaxy. The Milky Way has an estimated 100 billion stars, and it is believed that new stars are forming at a rate of about 7 per year. As for new planets, the TESS mission has already discovered over 2,000 exoplanets and continues to find more.

4. How long does it take for a new planet or star to form?

The time it takes for a new planet or star to form can vary greatly depending on factors such as the size of the nebula and the rate of accretion. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hundred thousand to a few million years for a new star to form, while the process of planet formation can take millions to billions of years.

5. Can we observe the formation of new planets and stars?

Yes, we can observe the formation of new planets and stars through various methods such as telescopes, infrared imaging, and radio and X-ray telescopes. These observations have given us valuable insights into the processes and conditions involved in the formation of these celestial bodies.