Can we really travel back in time using a wormhole?

In summary, the conversation touches on the possibility of using a wormhole to travel into the past, the potential violation of the 1st law of thermodynamics, the existence of the past, and the theory of General Relativity in relation to wormholes. It also raises questions about the arrow of time and the role of the 2nd law of thermodynamics in preventing time travel. Ultimately, it is uncertain if time travel is truly possible due to limitations in energy and the mystery surrounding the arrow of time.
Imparcticle
Is it true that theoretically, you can use a wormhole to travel into the past?
How so? Does this whole idea not violate the 1st law of thermodynamics?
Could the past already somehow exist? (i don't think so, but just for the record, I'd like your opinion.)

Physics news on Phys.org
According to what theory; can you name this theory for us? According to GR, as far as I know, you cannot start on a positive timelike trajectory, enter a wormhole, and escape the singularity.

i think you're right in saying it's basically a thermodynamics issue...i don't think there is really a 'past' to travel to, you can't undue the entropy inherent in time and motion...traveling into the future happens every time you move a muscle...

And why does entropy only "move" (can't think of the right word at the moment) in one [temporal] direction? Is it because something can only increase in disorder, never decrease and not do both simoltaneosly?

Great questions. Although some strange variations on General Relatvity seem to support wormholes or warp bubbles, i believe they also require more energy to implement than is present in the universe. By my standards, that makes it impossible.

As to the thermodynamic arrow of time: that is one of the great mysteries. All known laws are time-symmetric. So where does the arrow come from?

Lastly, it is not clear that the 2nd law actually prevents time travel. The question essentially becomes: is the 2nd law more fundamental than GR? Over vice versa? Or neither?

1. Can time travel to the past actually happen?

At this point in time, time travel to the past is purely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible. While some scientists believe that it may be possible in the future, there are currently no known methods or technologies that can achieve this feat.

2. What is the concept of time travel to the past?

Time travel to the past is the idea of moving backwards in time to a specific point in the past. This concept is often explored in science fiction and is based on theories of time dilation and wormholes.

3. What are the potential consequences of time travel to the past?

If time travel to the past were to become a reality, it could have a significant impact on the fabric of time and space. It could potentially create paradoxes and alter the course of history in unpredictable ways.

4. How is time travel to the past different from time travel to the future?

While time travel to the past involves moving backwards in time, time travel to the future involves moving forward in time. Theoretically, time travel to the future is possible through methods such as time dilation and traveling at high speeds, but it has not been achieved yet.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding time travel to the past?

There are many ethical concerns surrounding time travel to the past, including the potential for altering historical events, the repercussions of changing the past, and the impact on free will. These are all important considerations to be addressed if time travel to the past were to become a reality.