Proof using Cauchy's integral formula

In summary, the problem is to prove that if two analytic functions, f and g, are equal on all points on a simple connected contour Γ, then they are equal for all points inside Γ. The key is to use Cauchy's integral formula and write out f(z_0)-g(z_0) in the given format.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let f and g ve analytic functions inside and on a simple connected contour [itex] \Gamma [/itex]. If f(z) = g(z) for all z on [itex] \Gamma [/itex], prove that
If f(z) = g(z) for all z inside [itex] \Gamma [/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
f(z_{0}) = \int_{\Gamma}\dfrac{f(z)}{z-z_{0}}dz [/tex]

if f is analytic in a simple connected domain containing [itex] \Gamma [/itex] and [itex] z_{0} [/itex] is a point insinde [itex] \Gamma [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I must (?) prove that [itex]f(z_{0}) = g(z_{0}) [/itex] for all z_0, but i have no idea how to use the fact that f and g are equal on all point on [itex] \Gamma [/itex], I have no Lemma or Theoreme for this in my book (I am not allowed to use the theory of bounds for analytical functions, just Cauchy's integral formula)

Can someone give me a small hint ? =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what happens if you write out:
[tex]f(z_0)-g(z_0)[/tex]
in the format you already have?

NateTG said:
Well, what happens if you write out:
[tex]f(z_0)-g(z_0)[/tex]
in the format you already have?

okay i try that =) thanks!

[tex]
f(z_{0}) - g(z_{0}) = \dfrac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\Gamma}\dfrac{f(z)}{z-z_{0}}dz - \dfrac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\Gamma}\dfrac{g(z)}{z-z_{0}}dz[/tex]

I still don't know how to use the fact that they are equal for all z ON [tex]\Gamma[/tex] =(

What is Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the values of a function inside a closed contour to its values on the contour itself. It states that if a function f(z) is analytic on and within a simple closed contour C, then the value of f(z) at any point inside C can be calculated by integrating f(z) along the contour C divided by 2πi.

How is Cauchy's integral formula used in proofs?

Cauchy's integral formula is often used in complex analysis to prove various theorems and properties of analytic functions. It allows us to calculate the values of a function inside a closed contour by knowing its values on the contour itself. This is especially useful in calculating complex integrals and residues, and in proving the Cauchy integral theorem and Cauchy integral formula for derivatives.

What are the assumptions for using Cauchy's integral formula?

The main assumption for using Cauchy's integral formula is that the function being integrated must be analytic on and within the closed contour. This means that the function must have a derivative at every point within the contour. Additionally, the contour must be simple and closed, meaning it does not intersect itself and encloses a finite area.

Can Cauchy's integral formula be used for non-analytic functions?

No, Cauchy's integral formula only applies to analytic functions. If a function is not analytic, meaning it does not have a derivative at every point, then the integral formula cannot be used to calculate its values inside a closed contour. In such cases, other methods must be used to evaluate the integral.

What are some applications of Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to calculate complex integrals, residues, and Laurent series. It is also used to prove other important theorems, such as the Cauchy integral theorem and Cauchy integral formula for derivatives. In physics, it is used to calculate the work done by conservative forces and in fluid dynamics to model the flow of fluids around obstacles.