Proving a nonempty finite subset of a group is a subgroup

In summary, to show that a non-empty finite subset H of a group G is a subgroup of G, we use the following steps: 1. Show that H is closed under the binary operation * on G.2. Use the relevant definitions of group properties and subgroup properties to prove that H satisfies them.3. Use the fact that H is finite to show that every element in H has an inverse, making it a subgroup of G.
eq1

Homework Statement

Let a non empty finite subset H of a group G be closed under the binary operation * on G. Show that H is a subgroup of H.

2. Relevant Definitions

Group Properties:
G1: a*(b*c)=(a*b)*c for all a,b,c in G
G2: e*x=x*e=x for all x in G
G2: if x is in G then x' is in G and x*x'=x'*x=e

A subset H of group G is a subgroup of G iff:
S1: the identity element of G, e, is in H
S2: the binary operation on G is closed on H
S3: if x is in H, then x' is in H and x*x'=x'*x=e

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know

H != {}
H is finite
H is closed, so I get the second property of a subgroup for free.
H is subset of the elements of G and inherits the operation.

If H only has one element, I only need to show that that element is the identity of G. I think I can do this pretty easy with the closure property.

If H has more then one element here is my strategy,

Assume x is in H and for every y in H x*y != e.
This breaks associativity on G which is a contraction since G is a group.
Therefore given x in H for some y in H x*y=e which means y is x's inverse and since it
is in H and since H is closed e is there too.

The reason I think this is the way to go is because I drew tables for a couple of binary operations for a small set that was a group. Then I added some elements around it with a new pseudo-identity element over the larger wanna-be group. Associativity broke on the larger operation, which means it couldn't have been a group.

So it seems like I should be able to sketch a proof around this concept. Given H is closed and associative and assume it does not contain the identity of G. This breaks associativity of G which is a contradiction. But I am not really getting anywhere.

Is this approach even valid? I am starting to suspect not. I am pretty stuck. Could someone perhaps suggest another direction? I am not really taking advantage of the finite piece of information. Maybe there is something there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose x is in H. Since H is closed under *, then x^n = x*x*...*x is in H for all n > 0.

But H is finite, so ...

Right, of course.

I think I have an outline of a proof that works.

H={x^n,for every n in Z}
Proof:
Assume there is a y in H where y != x^i. I can show this is a contradiction
by knowing x*c=y has a solution in G, and c cannot be a power of x, or y is a power
of x. But x^t*y is in H due to closure and for some t, x^t*y=e otherwise H is not
finite. But then x^t*y = x^t*x*c = e.
A contradiction, so c is a power of x, and y = x^i.

So now I know H is finite and has a generator x.
So x^0=e
And if |H|=n then x^i*x^(n-i)=e so there is an inverse for every element

H is a subgroup of G

I probably made that way harder than is had to be.

Last edited:
Why should it follow that x^t*y=e?

H certainly doesn't have to be cyclic. The purpose of my hint above was to let you invoke the finiteness of H to see that not all the x^n's are distinct, i.e. there must be an s and a t with, say, s>t, such that x^s = x^t. From this, one can deduce that e is in H and that x is invertible. But since x was arbitrary, this means every element has an inverse in H, so it's a subgroup of G.

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a mathematical group that satisfies the four defining properties of a group: closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element.

2. How do you prove that a subset of a group is a subgroup?

To prove that a subset is a subgroup, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions for being a subgroup: closure, associativity, and identity element. This can be done by demonstrating that the subset is closed under the group operation, follows the associative property, and contains the identity element of the group.

3. Can a nonempty finite subset of a group be a subgroup?

Yes, a nonempty finite subset of a group can be a subgroup as long as it satisfies the three conditions for being a subgroup: closure, associativity, and identity element. The size of the subset does not affect its ability to be a subgroup.

4. What is the significance of proving a nonempty finite subset is a subgroup?

Proving that a nonempty finite subset is a subgroup is important because it allows us to identify and understand the structure of the group. It also helps us to simplify calculations and proofs by working with a smaller subset of the group.

5. Can a subgroup of a group also be a group?

Yes, a subgroup can also be a group if it satisfies the four defining properties of a group: closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element. However, the group operation within the subgroup may be different from the group operation of the larger group.