Solar Panel to Recharge Hybrid batteries?

In summary: Turns out I'm not the only one who thought that; the experts I consulted all thought the same thing. In summary, a solar panel would not be profitable to use on a hybrid vehicle due to the high cost of installation.
mitchjdm
Solar Panel to Recharge Hybrid batteries?

I'm considering buying a hybrid vehicle (Ford Escape) and wanted to get the forum thoughts on an idea I have had bouncing around in the old nogen for a awhile now.

What type of effeciency gain could I pick up over a typical Houston year (very hot here most of the time, lots of suntime!) by using the below streched across my windshield on the Hybrid while parked. I'm in sales so my parked time is not as great as some but I would say a good average would be 3-4 hours per day.

If my intial calcs are right I think I might be able to recharge the hybrid battery enough to pay for panel in a few years thru fuels savings derived from higher battery use and less engine. Thoughts??

Solar panel link below.

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/P355watt.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the Escape a plug-in hybrid? If not, how would you get the jiuce from the panels into the battery without voiding your waranty?

I see the mat is about $1,000.00 US; and produces a max of 55 Watts. I don't know the Escape's milage when in all-electric mode, but the Tessla gets about 110 wh/km, so about 160wh/mi. With gas at 3.50/gal, and the average vehicle getting 25 mi/gal, you would need about 7500mi worth of electricity to make up your $1,000 initial investment. According to my arithmentic, that comes to about 1.1 KillowattWatt-Hours. At 50 Whr/hr, that would mean you'll need the solar panel to produce at its maximum capacity for about 20,750 hrs. At 2-3 hrs/day, that would happen in 7000 days. Accounting for cloudy days, less-than-perfect parking angles, less-than-optimum performance of the solar cell, and the Escape getting less miles per Watt-hour than a Tessla, you're lookin' at regaining your cost in about twenty years.

Might be worth it.

BTW; when I started researching these numbers, I was certain I would find out that it takes 200 years or something.

Last edited:

I can say that using a solar panel to recharge a hybrid battery is a great idea. It takes advantage of the abundance of sunlight in your area and can potentially save on fuel costs. However, it is important to consider the efficiency of the solar panel and the amount of energy it can generate to fully recharge the battery. It may not fully replace the need for using the engine, but it can certainly reduce the frequency of charging and potentially save on fuel costs. It would be beneficial to do further calculations and research on the specific solar panel and your hybrid vehicle to determine the potential efficiency gain and cost savings. Overall, incorporating renewable energy sources like solar power into transportation is a step in the right direction towards a more sustainable future.

1. How do solar panels recharge hybrid batteries?

Solar panels work by converting sunlight into electricity through the use of photovoltaic cells. These cells absorb photons from sunlight, which in turn knock electrons loose from atoms, creating an electrical current. This current is then sent to a charge controller, which regulates the amount of electricity sent to the batteries for charging.

2. Can solar panels be used to charge hybrid batteries while the car is in motion?

Yes, solar panels can be used to charge hybrid batteries while the car is in motion. This is known as "regenerative braking." When the car brakes, the energy generated is captured and sent to the batteries for charging. However, the amount of energy generated through regenerative braking is typically much less than what is generated when the car is stationary, so it may not significantly impact the battery charge level.

3. How long does it take for solar panels to fully charge hybrid batteries?

The time it takes for solar panels to fully charge hybrid batteries depends on several factors, such as the size and efficiency of the solar panels, the amount of sunlight available, and the capacity of the batteries. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours to fully charge hybrid batteries using solar panels.

4. Do solar panels work in all types of weather?

Solar panels are most effective in direct sunlight, but they can still generate electricity on cloudy or overcast days. However, their efficiency may be reduced in these conditions. In extreme weather conditions, such as heavy rain or snow, the solar panels may not be able to generate electricity at all.

5. Can solar panels be used to power other systems in a hybrid car?

Yes, solar panels can be used to power other systems in a hybrid car, such as the air conditioning, lights, and radio. This is known as "solar-assisted charging." However, the amount of energy generated may not be enough to fully power these systems, but it can help reduce the strain on the hybrid batteries and improve overall fuel efficiency.