Excitation levels and Nucleus Size

In summary, excitation levels (or the lowest excitation level) can be used to find the radius of a nucleus. However, this method is different than using the r=r0A^(1/3) formula because the energy of the ground state must be known. Additionally, the deltaX should be the smallest cube-length that a particle with momenta (2mE)^½ can be contained in.
genloz
How would you use excitation levels (or the lowest excitation level) to find the radius of a nucleus? And how would it differ to using the r=r0A^(1/3) formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible to use Heisenberg again?
eg.
[tex]\Delta x \Delta p \approx \hbar[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x \approx \frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2mE}}[/tex]

so subbing in the excitation level for E and the A value for m?

Have you tried?

Well, for:
[tex]^{17}O[/tex] (oxygen)
[tex]r=r_{0}A^{1/3}[/tex]
[tex]r=1.3*17^{1/3}=3.34[/tex]

and using the other way:
[tex]\Delta x=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2mE}}[/tex]
Knowing that the first excitation level of 17-oxygen is 3055keV
[tex]\Delta x=\frac{0.197}{\sqrt{2*17*3055}}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x=6.11*10^{-4}[/tex] units?? m I guess?

Clearly not the same...

Strange, I got 6.34*10^(-16) m for [tex] \Delta x [/tex]...

The thing by using excitation energy is that you must know the energy of the ground state, 3055keV is just the delta E, not E of that level.

Okay, so if the base level is 870keV, then the total excitation energy is 3055+870=3925... If we say 17u = 6*mp+8*mn+6*me then we arrive at:
[tex]\Delta x = \frac{197 MeV fm}{\sqrt{2*(6*938.8+8*939.7+6*0.511)*3.925}}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x = \frac{197 MeV fm}{\sqrt{2*(6*938.8MeV+8*939.7MeV+6*0.511MeV)*3.925MeV}}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x = 0.613 fm[/tex]
Far too small...

Sounds very strange that the ground energy is smaller than its excitation energy.
But any way, the higher the energy, the smaller deltaX.

Okay, I think I get it.. the mass is only 938.8 or 939.7 because only 1 nucleon is excited, yeah? and the E is the actual value of the excitation, not the difference between excitation and ground state... so that:
[tex]\Delta x = \frac{197 MeV fm}{\sqrt{2*938.8*3.055}}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x = 2.6fm[/tex]
Which is still much smaller than 3.34... any reason for that?

HUP gives lower limit.

And also the deltaX should be the smallest cube-length that a particle with momenta (2mE)^½ can be contained in.

If we could get exact numbers with HUP, then we would use it instead of scattering and so on.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between excitation levels and nucleus size?

The excitation level of an atom refers to the energy state of its electrons. It is not directly related to the size of the nucleus, which is determined by the number of protons and neutrons it contains. However, changes in excitation levels can affect the stability and behavior of the nucleus, leading to changes in nuclear size.

2. How do changes in excitation levels affect nuclear size?

When an atom is excited, its electrons move to higher energy levels, causing the atom to become more unstable. This can lead to changes in the distribution of charge within the nucleus, causing it to expand or contract in size. In some cases, the nucleus may even split apart, resulting in a nuclear reaction.

3. Are there any factors that can affect both excitation levels and nucleus size?

Yes, the most common factor is temperature. As the temperature of an atom increases, its excitation levels also increase, leading to changes in nuclear size. Additionally, certain types of radiation, such as gamma rays, can cause both excitation and changes in nuclear size.

4. Can excitation levels and nucleus size be measured?

Yes, both excitation levels and nucleus size can be measured using various experimental techniques. Excitation levels can be measured using spectroscopy, which analyzes the light emitted or absorbed by an excited atom. Nucleus size can be measured using techniques such as electron microscopy or nuclear scattering experiments.

5. How do excitation levels and nucleus size relate to nuclear energy?

Changes in excitation levels and nucleus size can affect the stability of an atom, which in turn can impact its potential for nuclear reactions and energy release. For example, if the nucleus becomes too large or unstable, it may undergo fission, releasing a large amount of energy. On the other hand, controlled changes in excitation levels can be used to harness nuclear energy in nuclear power plants.