No Title Needed: Avoid Funeral Fraud with AARP

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the AARP website says that people who are planning to die should be careful because there is a funeral rip-off happening. The link on the website worked for one person, but not for others. The article suggests that people should set up their own funeral arrangements so that they are in control of the money.
Danger
Gold Member
I just went to the AARP site for my daily jigsaw puzzle and ran across this feature. Any of you Yanks who are planning to die better be careful.
http://www.aarpmagazine.org/money/funeral_rip_off.html Hmmm
hmmm... that's weird. I just tried this link myself and it doesn't work. :confused:

Okay, never mind. This time it took me to the site, which apologized for having a missing page. Maybe it'll start working later.

Is it too late to just delete this thread and go home? :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that raises an interesting question in general about the validity of any contract signed that far in advance of when the terms in the contract will be exercised, and the wisdom of buying into one. If your contract is with a particular business, and the business closes or changes hands and changes names, how can a non-existent business honor a contract?

It's sort of like lifetime guarantees or warranties...even if the product life is that long, the guarantee or warranty is probably only really the lifetime of the business.

I vaguely remember that there was a scandal of sorts regarding something like mufflers back in the 70's. The thing came with a lifetime warrantee, but it turned out to be based upon the lifespan of the muffler. It pretty much came down to: if it was still okay, you could replace it. If it wasn't, then its lifetime had expired.

How can that be legal for that jerk to do that? Certainly he can be sued? Why aren't there laws to enforce the customer's contracts?

Evo said:
How can that be legal for that jerk to do that? Certainly he can be sued? Why aren't there laws to enforce the customer's contracts?

I don't know...he's not the original owner who signed the contracts. Is he obligated to honor the bad business choices of the previous owner? It sounds more like the previous owner is the one who should be sued, who didn't properly put the money into secure accounts.

I think the article had a good suggestion though, instead of paying in advance, just set up your own account to cover funeral expenses so you remain in control of the funds until your death.

My father bought one of those funeral arrangements with a lifetime guarantee. Needless to say, the guarantee was worthless.

jimmysnyder said:
My father bought one of those funeral arrangements with a lifetime guarantee. Needless to say, the guarantee was worthless.
<groan>

Moonbear said:
I don't know...he's not the original owner who signed the contracts. Is he obligated to honor the bad business choices of the previous owner? It sounds more like the previous owner is the one who should be sued, who didn't properly put the money into secure accounts.
Usually the buyer agrees to honor debts and contracts. Also, the money was put aside into a separate account, there was $20 million in it, but that snake and the attorney partner drained the money out and made bad investments to fund their own energy company and lost everything.

If you follow the story far enough, you'll see that the jerk was arrested on several charges. One can only hope that he ends up in his own crematorium.

And the link started working because Astronuc fixed it for me. Thanks, bud.

What is "No Title Needed: Avoid Funeral Fraud with AARP"?

"No Title Needed: Avoid Funeral Fraud with AARP" is a guide provided by the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) to help individuals protect themselves from funeral fraud and scams.

Why is it important to avoid funeral fraud?

Avoiding funeral fraud is important because it can help individuals and their families save money and avoid unnecessary stress during an already difficult time.

What are some common funeral fraud scams?

Some common funeral fraud scams include falsely advertising low-cost funerals, adding unnecessary expenses to a funeral bill, and pressuring individuals into purchasing expensive funeral packages.

How can AARP help individuals avoid funeral fraud?

AARP provides resources and tips to help individuals recognize and avoid funeral fraud. They also have a Fraud Watch Network where individuals can report any suspicious activity.

Are there any warning signs of funeral fraud?

Yes, some warning signs of funeral fraud include high-pressure sales tactics, vague or incomplete information about costs and services, and the requirement to pay in cash or make immediate payments.