Finding the Fundamental Frequency and Length of an Open Pipe at 20°C

In summary, the problem involves an open pipe in air producing 2 successive harmonics at 235 Hz and 275 Hz at 20 degrees Celsius. The fundamental frequency can be calculated using the equation f=c/2L, where c is the velocity of sound and L is the length of the pipe. To find the length of the pipe, we can use the equation L=2λ0, where λ0 is the fundamental wavelength. To calculate λ0, we can use the formula λn-λn+1=λ0/2. The velocity of sound can be found using the equation v=331+0.6T (C), where T is the temperature in degrees Celsius. By dividing the velocity by the two
jhayes25
My question goes as follows:

An open pipe in air is designed to produced 2 successive harmonics at 235 Hz and 275 Hz at 20 degrees Celsius.
What is the fundamental frequency?
What is the length of the pipe (m)?

I'm not sure how to solve this problem, as I can't find the equation to properly relate the information I have. Would you use Frequency=V/2L?

I'd like to apologize for posting this in the physics thread, it was an accident.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Calculate each wavelength.
2. [tex]\lambda_n-\lamdba_{n+1}=\lambda_0/2[/tex].
3. [tex]f=c/n\lambda_0[/tex]
4. [tex]L=2\lambda_0[/tex].

Last edited:
So the wavelength equals velocity over frequency. Velocity equals 331+0.6*T (C) correct? So find the velocity and divide it by both frequencies and subtract the second from the first, then multiply by two, and that should give me the fundamental wavelength (lambda not)?

What is the purpose of finding the fundamental frequency and length of an open pipe at 20°C?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the fundamental frequency and length of an open pipe at a specific temperature, in this case 20°C. This information is important in understanding the physics of sound and can be used in various applications such as musical instrument design and industrial noise control.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include an open pipe, a tuning fork, a ruler or measuring tape, a thermometer, and a source of heat to maintain a temperature of 20°C. Optionally, a microphone and sound analysis software can also be used to measure the frequency.

How is the fundamental frequency and length of an open pipe determined?

The fundamental frequency of an open pipe is determined by measuring the length of the pipe and using the formula f = v/2L, where f is the frequency, v is the speed of sound (which is dependent on the temperature), and L is the length of the pipe. The length of the pipe can be adjusted until the fundamental frequency is achieved. This can be confirmed by using a tuning fork of known frequency and adjusting the length of the pipe until resonance is achieved.

How does temperature affect the fundamental frequency and length of an open pipe?

As mentioned earlier, the speed of sound is dependent on temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This results in a higher fundamental frequency for the same length of pipe. Additionally, as the length of the pipe is increased, the fundamental frequency decreases.

What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include imprecise measurement of the length of the pipe, variations in the speed of sound due to factors such as humidity and air pressure, and external noise that may affect the resonance of the pipe. It is important to minimize these errors by using accurate measurement tools and conducting the experiment in a controlled environment.