What should I do with my old PC and CRT monitor?

In summary, the conversation is about disposing of old electronic devices, specifically a monitor and PC, after building a new system. Suggestions include taking it to a recycling center, offering it for free on Craigslist or FreeCycle, or taking it apart. One person also suggests repurposing it as a Linux server or bronzing it as a decorative item.
Holocene
Since building my new system, this is just sitting around, and I doubt I'll ever use them again.

Any ideas as far as disposal? The monitor works fine, but there isn't too much on the PC worth salvaging.

Just thow it in the garbage or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where you live. In North America, a lot of larger cities have specific disposal/recycling centres dedicated to electronic devices.

Take it apart and poke capacitors :D:D

Offer it for free on craigs list, I got rid of several old things that way.

Or FreeCycle.

Find a recycling center around you. CRTs contain about 8 lbs of lead, and should not be tossed into landfills.

- Warren

Build a linux server.

Have it bronzed.

1. What is an old PC and CRT monitor?

An old PC, or personal computer, refers to a desktop computer that was produced in the 1980s or 1990s. It typically has a slower processor, less memory, and runs on an older operating system compared to modern computers. A CRT (cathode ray tube) monitor is a type of display screen that was commonly used with older PCs. It is larger and heavier than modern flat-screen monitors and uses a bulky tube to display images.

2. How do I connect an old PC to a CRT monitor?

To connect an old PC to a CRT monitor, you will need a VGA cable. This cable has a 15-pin connector on both ends and is used to transmit video signals from the computer to the monitor. Simply plug one end into the VGA port on the back of your old PC and the other end into the VGA port on the back of the CRT monitor. Make sure both devices are turned off before connecting the cable.

3. Can I use a modern monitor with an old PC?

Yes, you can use a modern monitor with an old PC as long as it has a VGA or DVI port. You will need a VGA to HDMI or DVI to HDMI adapter to connect the two devices. Keep in mind that the resolution of the monitor will be limited by the capabilities of the old PC.

4. Is it worth keeping an old PC and CRT monitor?

It depends on your needs and preferences. If you are someone who values nostalgia and enjoys retro computing, then keeping an old PC and CRT monitor may be worth it to you. However, if you need a computer for everyday use, it is recommended to upgrade to a newer and more efficient model.

5. How can I dispose of an old PC and CRT monitor?

Due to the hazardous materials contained in CRT monitors, it is important to dispose of them properly. Many cities have electronic waste recycling programs where you can drop off your old PC and CRT monitor. You can also contact your local waste management company for guidance on proper disposal methods.