Very Simple = a negatively charged rod will only attract what?

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding how a negatively charged rod is able to attract objects. It was mentioned that Isaac Newton explained this phenomenon through the concept of an "electrical spirit" that is disturbed and stretched out when the rod is rubbed. Today, electrostatics is used to explain how electrical forces act upon objects at a distance. It was also clarified that the small objects in Newton's experiment were most likely neutral, but the charge of the rod polarized them and caused them to be attracted to the rod.
daNAV1GATOR
I'm having a hard time about a negatively charged rod and the objects it will attract.

It's true that the rod will only attract positively charged objects, correct?

here's what I have to answer in my exam.
To explain the attraction which a rubbed rod of amber exerted on small objects which were some distance away from it, Isaac Newton suggested that there was an invisble substance in the amber which he called an "electrical spirit." When the rod was rubbed, this electrical spirit was disturbed and stretched out into the area around the rod. When the electrical spirit contracted again, it pulled with it any small objects that happened to be in its path.

PROBLEM: WHAT EXPLANATION IS USED TODAY TO EXPLAIN HOW ELECTRICAL FORCES ARE ABLE TO ACT UPON OBJECTS AT A DISTANCE?

I understand electrostatics... but the question is kinda hard for me to explain. hehe =)

What I would like to confirm is... The small objects in Isaac Newton's experiment that were attracted to the rod were postively charged?? -- and not neutral?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I would like to confirm is... The small objects in Isaac Newton's experiment that were attracted to the rod were positively charged?? -- and not neutral?

please somebody help...

Doc Al?

is my question too hard...

or is it too easy...? =)

Just need someone to please confirm my understanding.. THANKS!

They were most likely neutral. The charge of the rod polarized them, moving the positive charges in them more towards the rod, and the negative charges away from the rod. The result is that the rod will attract them

Thanks!

1. What is a negatively charged rod?

A negatively charged rod is an object that has gained extra electrons, resulting in an overall negative charge. This can be achieved through processes such as rubbing or induction.

2. How does a negatively charged rod attract objects?

A negatively charged rod attracts objects through the force of electromagnetism. The negatively charged electrons on the rod repel the electrons in the objects, causing them to move towards the rod.

3. Can a negatively charged rod attract any object?

No, a negatively charged rod will only attract objects that have a positive or neutral charge. Objects with a negative charge will be repelled by the rod.

4. What happens when a negatively charged rod touches a neutral object?

When a negatively charged rod touches a neutral object, some of its electrons will transfer to the neutral object, resulting in a temporary negative charge on the object. This can cause the object to be attracted to the rod.

5. How can a negatively charged rod be used in experiments?

A negatively charged rod can be used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and to study the behavior of electric charges. It can also be used in practical applications such as removing static electricity from objects.