(distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time with units

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time having a speed and its dimensions. One person proposes an equation linking distance, the speed of light, and time, while another person argues against this idea. The conversation also touches on the difference between speed and rate and the possibility of time being continuous or discreet. Clarification is needed on the exact meaning of "speed" in this context.
dranseth
Sorry, I think I made a thread in the wrong section before. I was wondering if anyone thought time could have a speed? If so, what would be its dimensions?

I encountered someone who claimed that
(distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time
with units, that would be m^3/s^2 = speed of time

is this possible? or is this some retarded proposal? Opinions?

Science news on Phys.org
the way i see it speed is defined as the distance covered divided by the time taken.
therefore speed is defined BY time:
to define time by it speed would/could create a circular reference.
[what is a fork? a fork is what goes with a knife. ok, so what is a knife then? a knife is what goes with a fork. we're not much further in finding out what a fork is!]
HOWEVER
i have wondered before if time was continuous or discreet, i.e. does the universe have a refresh rate of sorts. in my bit of digging i came across a concept of "plank time" i can't tell you anything about it though! but i thought you may be interested.
just my two €cents

Do you mean really "speed" or do you mean "rate"?

If you mean "speed", then no. Speed is displacement over time. Time cannot be described in this way. I cannot tell where the guy got
the equation "(distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time". What does he mean by "distance" and why "[tex]C^{2}[/tex]"? but just to put a nail in that coffin:

(distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time
or
(meters)(C meters per second)[tex]^{2}[/tex]=(meters per second)
the units are
[tex]\frac{m^{3}}{s^{2}} = \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

As you can see, that's not true. So, you can toss it out right there.

If you mean "rate", then yes. Time does have a rate. It is roughly 1 second per second.

If you mean something other than "speed" or "rate", you should clarify the OP. Maybe that means finding that guy again...

Last edited:

What does the equation (distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time with units mean?

The equation (distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time with units is a simplified version of the equation for time dilation, a concept in Einstein's theory of relativity. It shows that the speed of time is directly proportional to the square of the speed of light and the distance traveled.

How does this equation relate to the theory of relativity?

The equation (distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time with units is a fundamental part of the theory of relativity. It shows how time is affected by the speed of light and distance traveled, and how it can be distorted in different frames of reference.

What are the units used in this equation?

The units used in this equation are meters for distance, meters per second for the speed of light, and seconds for the speed of time. This is known as the SI (International System of Units) unit system.

Can this equation be applied to everyday situations?

While the equation (distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time with units is typically used in scientific and theoretical contexts, its principles can be observed in everyday situations. For example, GPS satellites must account for the effects of time dilation in order to accurately track location on Earth.

What are the practical implications of this equation?

Understanding the equation (distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time with units is crucial for scientists and engineers working with technologies that require precise measurements of time and space. It also helps us better understand the nature of time and how it can be affected by different factors.