Need help with spring launcher please

In summary: I was wondering if someone could help me out with that.In summary, the student is trying to design a spring launcher that can change angles and distance. He needs to find the amount of potential energy in the spring, and then equate that with the kinetic energy of the spring. He is also wondering if someone could help him out with finding the other value of t for which y = 0. Finally, he is wondering if this is a practical experiment, and if so, how he is going to get the spring to go straight.
psp101

Homework Statement

hi this is my first time posting here but I'm been on the forum a lot just looking for help on this assignment I have

I need to make a spring laucher that's able to change angles and distance
heres an example of my lancher

A spring is launched to a box The target is at a certain distance and height. The question is how do I find the amount I need to strech the spring to get it into the air. bonus how do I add air friction to the equation becaue it obviously makes a diffence

Homework Equations

heres given
my spring constant
distance between spring and box
hight of box
angle since its determine by the user

F=kx

x=v0cost

v=v0sin0t+1/2gt

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea how to solve this

Physics news on Phys.org
nm about the picture I can't post a image until I have 15 posts but its simply an L shaped design with a protractor on its side and a ruler on the top where the spring is lanched

This may help: Use the formulas for the amount of potential energy in the spring at a certain distance, then equate that with the kinetic energy of the spring once it has left, this will give you the velocity related to the stretch in the spring.

Welcome to PF!

Hi psp101! Welcome to PF! :smile:
psp101 said:
v=v0sin0t+1/2gt

No … you mean y = v0sin0t - 1/2gt^2.

And you need to find the other value of t (other than 0, that is) for which y = 0.

Then you can use the x formula. :smile:

Is this a practical experiment, so you have to make a real launcher?

If so, how are you going to get the spring to go straight?

Springs are meant to be bendy, and they'll bend sideways as well as up-and-down.

Won't you need something like a long tube?

As to air resistance, I would expect a spring would be horribly un-aerodynamic.

They don't build aeroplanes spring-shaped, do they (oh … except maybe the Boing … 911! :biggrin: )?

lol thanks for the help actually the spring is very straght all I need to do is strech it a certian amount with the ruler to meause it to get it across a distance.the only problem before was that I did'nt know how to find that amount I need to strech it to.

I already built the design but I noice the equation is slighty off I just guessed its because of air friction.

1. What is a spring launcher and how does it work?

A spring launcher is a device that uses the force of a compressed spring to launch an object. The spring is typically compressed by pulling back a lever or string, and when released, the stored energy in the spring propels the object forward.

2. How do I build a spring launcher?

To build a spring launcher, you will need a spring, a sturdy base, and a trigger mechanism. Attach the spring to the base and make sure it is securely in place. Then, attach the trigger mechanism to the spring and test the launcher to make sure it is functioning properly.

3. How can I increase the launch distance of my spring launcher?

There are a few ways to increase the launch distance of your spring launcher. You can use a longer or stronger spring, adjust the angle of the launcher, or add weight to the object being launched. It may also help to make sure the trigger mechanism is releasing the spring quickly and smoothly.

4. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a spring launcher?

When using a spring launcher, it is important to always wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from any flying objects. Make sure to keep your fingers and other body parts away from the trigger mechanism to avoid injury. Also, never aim the launcher at people or animals.

5. Can a spring launcher be used for any other purposes besides launching objects?

Yes, a spring launcher can also be used for demonstration purposes in physics experiments or to launch small projectiles in games. However, it is important to always follow safety precautions and use the launcher responsibly.