Calculating Energy Change in Compton Scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the change in energy of an incoming object that strikes another object of the same mass and is stationary. The collision occurs in 2 dimensions and the angle at which the target object is moving can be removed algebraically. The conversation includes equations for energy and momentum balance, and a discussion about the difference between Compton Scattering and this problem. The solution is found by applying the Quadratic Equation and determining that the final energy of the incoming object is equal to its initial energy multiplied by the cosine squared of the scattering angle divided by four.
ajhunte
Can Someone look over this and tell me if the work is correct.

Homework Statement

An object comes in with known velocity (v) and known mass (m) moving directly along the x-axis. It strikes another object of the same mass (m) which is stationary. Find the change in energy of the incoming object based on the angle at which it scattered ([tex]\theta[/tex]) and the velocity of the target after the collision (u). The collision only occurs in 2 dimensions. (Note: The angle at which the target object is moving can be removed algebraically.)

[tex]E_{i}[/tex]=Energy of Incoming Object before collision
[tex]E_{f}[/tex]=Energy of Incoming Object after collision
[tex]E_{2}[/tex]=Energy of Target Object after collision

[tex]p_{i}[/tex]= Momentum of incoming object before collision.
[tex]p_{f}[/tex]=Momentum of Incoming object after collision.
[tex]p_{2}[/tex]=Momentum of Target object after collion.

[tex]\phi[/tex]= Arbitrary Angle of Target object scattering (should not matter based on the note.

Homework Equations

[tex]E=1/2*m*v^{2}[/tex]
p=m*v
[tex]p^{2}/(2*m)=E[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy Balance:
[tex]E_{i}=E_{f}+E_{2}[/tex]

X-Momentum Balance:
[tex]p_{i}=p_{f}*Cos(\theta) +p_{2}*Cos(\phi)[/tex]

Y-Momentum Balance: (This should be a zero momentum system in y-direction)
[tex]p_{f}*Sin(\theta)=p_{2}*Sin(\phi)
[/tex]

Squaring only the Momentum Equations and adding them together.

Y-Balance:
[tex]p_{f}^{2}*Sin^{2}(\theta)=p_{2}^{2}*Sin^{2}(\phi)[/tex]

X-Balance: (after getting [tex]\phi[/tex] isolated on one side then squaring)
[tex]p_{2}^{2}*Cos^{2}(\phi)=p_{i}^{2} - p_{i}*p_{f}*Cos(\theta)+p_{f}^{2}*Cos^{2}(\theta)[/tex]

Adding the two momentum Equations and using [tex]Sin^{2}+Cos^{2}=1[/tex]
[tex]p_{2}^{2}=p_{i}^{2}-p_{i}*p_{f}*Cos(\theta)+p_{f}^{2}[/tex]

Relating back to energy, using the relationship defined in section 2.
Since all masses are the same I divide the newly found momentum equation by 2m in order to get to energy:
[tex]E_{2}=E_{i}+E_{f}-\sqrt{E_{i}}*\sqrt{E_{f}}*Cos(\theta)[/tex]

(Note: [tex]\sqrt{2m}*\sqrt{2m}=2m[/tex] and [tex]p/\sqrt{2m}=\sqrt{E}[/tex] )

Combining with the original Energy Balance Equation to Eliminate [tex]E_{2}[/tex]. This involves subtracting the equation I just solved for and the original equation.
[tex]0=2*E_{f}-\sqrt{E_{i}}*\sqrt{E_{f}}*Cos(\theta)[/tex]

Applying the Quadratic Equation
[tex]\sqrt{E_{f}}=\sqrt{E_{i}}*Cos(\theta) +\- \frac{\sqrt{\sqrt{E_{i}}^{2}*Cos^{2}(\theta)-0}}{4}[/tex]

Minus Sign Answer Leads to 0, so nontrivial answer is:
[tex]E_{f}=\frac{E_{i}*Cos^{2}(\theta)}{4}[/tex]

Is this the correct solution, or is there a step that I made a mistake or false assumption? It seems to me that this is wrong, because even a grazing trajectory decreases the initial energy by 3/4.

Physics news on Phys.org

This is essentially compton scattering. Why do you have to angles? Also, are you assuming it is inelastic, or were you told that it is inelastic? I would probably assume an elastic collision.

Your right, this is basically compton scattering without the relativisitic effects. That is why the first 4 steps are the same as the Compton Scattering derivation. The difference is that the since this does not use relativistic effects:
[tex]E=\frac{p^{2}}{2m}[/tex]

For Compton Scattering, the conversion between energy and momentum for Photons and relativistic electron is different:

For Relativistic Electrons: [tex]pc=\sqrt{E_{0}^{2}-m_{0}^{2}c^{4}}[/tex]

For Photons: [tex]\frac{E}{c}[/tex]

This is where the difference is. That is why I asked the question, because this answer does not seem intuitive that if I have a grazing trajectory (i.e. [tex]\theta[/tex] goes to 0) I still lose 3/4 of the energy.

Hi ajhunte,

ajhunte said:
Can Someone look over this and tell me if the work is correct.

Homework Statement

An object comes in with known velocity (v) and known mass (m) moving directly along the x-axis. It strikes another object of the same mass (m) which is stationary. Find the change in energy of the incoming object based on the angle at which it scattered ([tex]\theta[/tex]) and the velocity of the target after the collision (u). The collision only occurs in 2 dimensions. (Note: The angle at which the target object is moving can be removed algebraically.)

[tex]E_{i}[/tex]=Energy of Incoming Object before collision
[tex]E_{f}[/tex]=Energy of Incoming Object after collision
[tex]E_{2}[/tex]=Energy of Target Object after collision

[tex]p_{i}[/tex]= Momentum of incoming object before collision.
[tex]p_{f}[/tex]=Momentum of Incoming object after collision.
[tex]p_{2}[/tex]=Momentum of Target object after collion.

[tex]\phi[/tex]= Arbitrary Angle of Target object scattering (should not matter based on the note.

Homework Equations

[tex]E=1/2*m*v^{2}[/tex]
p=m*v
[tex]p^{2}/(2*m)=E[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy Balance:
[tex]E_{i}=E_{f}+E_{2}[/tex]

X-Momentum Balance:
[tex]p_{i}=p_{f}*Cos(\theta) +p_{2}*Cos(\phi)[/tex]

Y-Momentum Balance: (This should be a zero momentum system in y-direction)
[tex]p_{f}*Sin(\theta)=p_{2}*Sin(\phi)
[/tex]

Squaring only the Momentum Equations and adding them together.

Y-Balance:
[tex]p_{f}^{2}*Sin^{2}(\theta)=p_{2}^{2}*Sin^{2}(\phi)[/tex]

X-Balance: (after getting [tex]\phi[/tex] isolated on one side then squaring)
[tex]p_{2}^{2}*Cos^{2}(\phi)=p_{i}^{2} - p_{i}*p_{f}*Cos(\theta)+p_{f}^{2}*Cos^{2}(\theta)[/tex]

You are missing a factor of two here. The factor of two will keep the four from appearing in the denominator of the final answer.

Thank You, That is exactly what I was missing.

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon collides with an electron, resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength and direction. This is a fundamental process in which energy and momentum are conserved.

2. How does Compton scattering relate to quantum mechanics?

Compton scattering is an important phenomenon in quantum mechanics, as it demonstrates the particle-like behavior of photons and the wave-like behavior of electrons. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics as a scientific theory.

3. What is the Compton scattering formula?

The Compton scattering formula is used to calculate the change in wavelength of a photon after it undergoes scattering. It is given by λ' - λ = h/mc (1-cosθ), where λ' is the final wavelength, λ is the initial wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the scattering angle.

4. What are the practical applications of Compton scattering?

Compton scattering has many practical applications, such as in medical imaging techniques like computed tomography (CT) scans and in radiation therapy for cancer treatment. It is also used in materials science to study the properties of materials at the atomic level.

5. What are the limitations of the Compton scattering model?

While the Compton scattering model is very useful in describing the behavior of photons and electrons, it does have some limitations. It does not take into account the effects of relativity or the electromagnetic interactions between particles. Additionally, it only applies to free electrons, not bound electrons in atoms.