Calculus: Given parabola and vx in terms of x and c, prove constant velocity

In summary: So x(t) = c*arcsinh(t) + cAnd y(t) = t^2/2In summary, the problem involves a particle moving along a parabola with equation y=0.5x^2 and determining the speed of the particle when its x-component velocity is given by vx = c/(1+x^2)^0.5. The solution involves finding the x position as a function of time using the integral of Vx(t), which results in the equation x(t) = c*arcsinh(t) + c. The y position as a function of time is also given by y(t) = t^2/2.
derelictee
Here an AP Physics problem that's really bugging me.

Homework Statement

A particle moves along the parabola with equation y = .5x^2

part a) I believe I did this correct.

part b) Suppose that the particle moves with a velocity whose x-component is given by vx = c / (1 + x^2)^.5 Show that the particle's speed is constant.

Below I have images of the question and my attempted work. I think maybe for the first half of my work I was in the right direction; I got y in terms of t, and I was going to find the derivative to show that there is no acceleration, but I couldn't get the equation to equal y, and I ultimately became confused and went off track.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/7313/scanqa9.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2346/scan0001fu2.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php
I know; my work is a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
derelictee said:
Here an AP Physics problem that's really bugging me.

Homework Statement

A particle moves along the parabola with equation y = .5x^2

part a) I believe I did this correct.

part b) Suppose that the particle moves with a velocity whose x-component is given by vx = c / (1 + x^2)^.5 Show that the particle's speed is constant.

Below I have images of the question and my attempted work. I think maybe for the first half of my work I was in the right direction; I got y in terms of t, and I was going to find the derivative to show that there is no acceleration, but I couldn't get the equation to equal y, and I ultimately became confused and went off track.

I know; my work is a mess.

Have you considered that if Vx = c/(1+x2)1/2 that x would be given by the integral?

In this regard isn't the x position as a function of time given by the integral of Vx(t)

[tex] \int \frac{c*dx}{(x^2 + 1)^{1/2}} = c*arcsinh(x) + C = c*arcsinh(x) + c[/tex]

C is c because V=c at x=0

I would respond by saying that your approach in part a) was correct, however, your method in part b) was not entirely correct. In order to prove constant velocity, you need to show that the particle's acceleration is zero. In this case, you can use the equation for velocity, vx = c / (1 + x^2)^.5, to find the acceleration, ax, by taking the derivative with respect to time, t.

ax = d(vx)/dt = -cx / (1 + x^2)^1.5

Since the acceleration is dependent on x, we need to express x in terms of t using the equation for the parabola, y = .5x^2. This can be done by solving for x in terms of y, and then substituting that expression into the equation for acceleration.

x = √(2y)

ax = -c√(2y) / (1 + 2y)^1.5

Now, we can see that the acceleration is dependent on y, not t. This means that the acceleration is constant and does not change over time. Therefore, the particle's acceleration is zero and its speed is constant. In other words, the particle is moving with a constant velocity.

I hope this helps to clarify the solution for part b) of the problem. Keep up the good work in your AP Physics class!

1. What is calculus and how is it used?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to analyze and model complex systems and phenomena.

2. What is a parabola and how is it related to calculus?

A parabola is a curved shape formed by the graph of a quadratic function. In calculus, parabolas are used to represent a variety of real-world phenomena and are an essential part of understanding and solving problems involving rates of change.

3. How is velocity related to calculus and parabolas?

Velocity is a measure of an object's rate of change in position over time. In calculus, velocity is represented by the derivative of the position function, which is often a parabola. This allows us to analyze an object's motion and determine its constant velocity.

4. What is the significance of vx in terms of x and c?

Vx in terms of x and c represents the velocity of an object at a specific time, x, given a constant acceleration, c. This allows us to calculate the velocity of an object at any given point in time and understand its motion over time.

5. How do we prove constant velocity using a parabola and vx in terms of x and c?

To prove constant velocity, we use the fact that the derivative of a parabola, which represents velocity, is a constant value. This means that the velocity of an object remains constant over time, as long as the acceleration remains constant. By setting the derivative equal to the given constant velocity, we can solve for the constant acceleration and prove that the velocity is indeed constant.