Different Notations of Direction

• Thread starter jwj11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation of [E25S] and whether it represents 25 degrees South of East or 25 degrees East of South. The speaker's teacher believes it is the latter, but the speaker argues that it should be the former. The lack of credible sources makes it difficult to determine the correct interpretation. However, both speakers agree that [E25S] is a rare notation and it is more common to see bearings given as X degrees East/West of North/South.
jwj11
So I get that [25 degrees North of East] is a line that is 25 degrees above the east axis.

But what about [E25S]

Is that [25 degrees South of East]
or [25 degrees East of South]

My teacher says that [E25S] is [25 degrees East of South]

but based on that notation I think it is [25 degrees South of East]

Please help me determine this because he has deducted marks for it. Any credible internet sources would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have any sources, but you have a legitimate argument there.

I too would interpret [E25S] as 25 degrees South of East.

It's very rare to see bearings (directions) given as X degrees East/West of North/South...it's much more common to see X degrees East/West of North/South.

I understand the importance of precise and accurate notation in conveying information. In this case, it seems that there may be some confusion about the correct way to notate direction using cardinal directions and degrees.

According to the International System of Units (SI), the standard notation for direction is to use cardinal directions (North, South, East, West) followed by the degree measurement in relation to that direction. So, [25 degrees North of East] would be written as N25E.

Using this standard notation, [E25S] would indicate [25 degrees East of South], as your teacher has stated. This means that if you were facing South, you would turn 25 degrees towards the East direction. This is also consistent with the convention used in navigation and mapping.

However, it is understandable how this notation could be interpreted as [25 degrees South of East], as you have suggested. In this case, the notation would follow the order of the directions as they appear on a compass, with the degree measurement indicating how far South you are from the East direction. This notation is not incorrect, but it is not the standard convention used in scientific and mathematical contexts.

To further clarify, the notation [E25S] could also be written as S65E, indicating that you are facing South and then turning 65 degrees towards the East direction.

In conclusion, it is important to use the standard notation for direction, which is cardinal directions followed by the degree measurement in relation to that direction. Your teacher is correct in stating that [E25S] is [25 degrees East of South], and it is important to use this notation in scientific contexts. However, it is also important to understand the alternative interpretation of this notation as [25 degrees South of East].

For further information, I would recommend consulting credible sources such as the International Bureau of Weights and Measures or the National Institute of Standards and Technology. These sources provide guidelines and standards for scientific notation and can help clarify any confusion.

What is the difference between cardinal and ordinal directions?

Cardinal directions, also known as compass directions, are the four main directions: north, south, east, and west. Ordinal directions, also known as intercardinal or secondary directions, are the four in-between directions: northeast, southeast, southwest, and northwest.

What is the purpose of using different notations of direction?

Different notations of direction allow for more specific and accurate communication of location and direction. They are commonly used in navigation, mapping, and giving directions.

What is the difference between relative and absolute direction?

Relative direction is based on the observer's perspective and can change depending on the observer's location. Absolute direction is based on fixed reference points, such as cardinal directions, and does not change based on the observer's location.

What are some examples of alternative notations of direction?

Some examples include using degrees on a compass rose, using clock positions (e.g. 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock), using landmarks or reference points (e.g. towards the mountains, away from the river), and using grid coordinates on a map.

How do different cultures and languages represent directions?

Some cultures and languages may use different notations and terms for directions, such as using the sun's position or using different words for cardinal directions. Some may also have cultural or religious significance attached to certain directions.