Foriegn graduate, find internship?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Chinese student studying software development in Ireland and their plans for after graduation. They are considering an internship in embedded systems but are unsure of the availability for foreign graduates in Europe. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding a job in other European countries, but it may not be easy for a non-EU citizen. It is suggested to either find a job in Ireland or inquire about the UK program for non-EU citizens.
ziv
Hey,
I'm a Chinese student studying in Ireland and I will be completing my course in Software Development in May of next year. My course in China has covered a broad range of topics from Software Programming to Development of Embedded Systems. I now have to decide which path to go down from here.
I think it's probably hard to find positions as a new graduate in embedded systems work. This kind of job needs a lot of experience. And experience is what I'm lack of . So I decided I need to find some internship.
The question is that 'Is that finding a internship in embedded system is easy in Europe? Especially, for a Foriegn graduate from China? And what should i do to find such a internship?'

Physics news on Phys.org
In the UK new overseas graduates are allowed a 2 year working VISA - I don't know if Ireland has something similair, or if Irish grads qualify forthe UK one.

Internships in the US generally mean unpaid - they aren't common in Europe.
So you are really looking for an entry level job, I don't know how bad the economy has been hit but I suspect the big electronics companies aren't quite as desparate for staff as they were a year ago.

Thank you for the reply mgb_phys.
Graduates in Ireland are allowed a half year working VISA. But Embedded system industry is not that good in Ireland. Here is lack of job in Ireland. Is that possible finding a job in other European countries for a Chinese graduate in Ireland.

I don't think non-eu citizens can swap countries that easily.
You will either need to find somewhere in Ireland or check with the UK if you are entitled to the UK program - for historical reasons ireland is often a special case and get's more rights in the UK than other european countries.

1. How can I find an internship as a foreign graduate?

There are a few different ways to find an internship as a foreign graduate. One option is to utilize online job search engines specifically for international students, such as Going Global or Interstride. Another option is to network with professionals in your field through LinkedIn or attending career fairs and conferences. Additionally, you can reach out to your university's career center for resources and connections.

2. Do I need a work visa to do an internship as a foreign graduate?

It depends on the country and the type of internship you are looking for. In most cases, if you are seeking a paid internship, you will need a work visa. However, there are some countries that allow international students to do unpaid internships without a work visa. It is important to research the specific requirements for the country you are interested in.

3. What are the benefits of doing an internship as a foreign graduate?

Doing an internship as a foreign graduate can provide you with valuable work experience in your field, as well as the opportunity to network with professionals and potentially secure a job after graduation. It also allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the culture and work environment in the country you are interning in.

4. How can I stand out as a foreign graduate when applying for internships?

Highlighting your international background and experiences can make you stand out as a foreign graduate when applying for internships. Emphasize your language skills, cultural competence, and adaptability to new environments. Additionally, showcasing any relevant work experience or projects, as well as your academic achievements, can also make you a strong candidate for internships.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with the cultural adjustment of doing an internship abroad?

Yes, there are several resources available to help with the cultural adjustment of doing an internship abroad. Your university's study abroad or international student office may offer workshops or resources specifically for students interning abroad. There are also online resources such as Transitions Abroad and Go Overseas that provide tips and advice for adjusting to a new culture.