Should I follow up job applications with a phone call?

In summary, as a Mechanical Engineering grad student, it is recommended to follow up with a phone call after submitting a job application. This can be done by speaking with the hiring manager or human resource manager and expressing your interest in the position. Alternatively, you can inquire about the status of the position and express your continued interest if it is still open.
rm446
Hello, I'm a Mechanical Engineering grad student (got my B.S. in ME as well) and I've started applying for jobs. I've heard that it's a good idea to call the company after sending them a job application but I just can't think of what I'm suppose to say. Do any engineers in the workforce has any advice regarding this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not complicated. Make the phone call and ask to speak with either the hiring manager of the department in which you hope to work or maybe ask to speak to a human resource manager; tell either of these people exactly what you are interested in telling them. If you applied then say what you have applied for, express in spoken but brief manner, your interest in the position, and let the person give a response.

Another approach: say what you applied for and ask about the status of the position; is it still open, have they selected some candidates yet ... if still open and you still may be interested, express your interest.

I understand the importance of following up on job applications in order to increase your chances of being noticed by potential employers. However, it is important to approach this follow-up call in a professional and strategic manner.

Firstly, it is important to research the company and the position you have applied for before making the call. This will allow you to have a better understanding of the company's goals and needs, and tailor your conversation accordingly.

When making the call, introduce yourself and mention the position you have applied for. Express your enthusiasm for the opportunity and briefly explain why you are interested in the company. You can also inquire about the status of your application and ask if there is any additional information you can provide to support your candidacy.

It is also important to remain polite and respectful, as the person you are speaking to may be busy with other tasks. If they are unable to provide you with an update, thank them for their time and ask if you can follow up at a later date.

In conclusion, following up on job applications can be a beneficial step in the job search process, but it is important to approach it professionally and with a clear purpose. Good luck with your job search!

1. Should I follow up on every job application with a phone call?

No, it is not necessary to follow up on every job application with a phone call. It is important to follow the application instructions provided by the employer. If they specifically mention not to follow up with a phone call, it is best to respect their wishes.

2. When is the best time to follow up with a phone call after submitting a job application?

The best time to follow up with a phone call is typically 1-2 weeks after submitting your application. This gives the employer enough time to review applications and make a decision, but it also shows that you are still interested in the position.

3. What should I say when following up on a job application with a phone call?

When following up with a phone call, it is important to introduce yourself and mention the position you applied for. Be polite and professional, and ask if the employer has had a chance to review your application. You can also mention any relevant qualifications or experiences that make you a strong candidate for the job.

4. Is it appropriate to leave a voicemail when following up on a job application with a phone call?

Yes, it is appropriate to leave a voicemail if the employer does not answer the phone. Make sure to leave a clear and concise message with your name, the position you applied for, and a brief statement indicating your interest in the job and desire to follow up.

5. How many times should I follow up with a phone call after submitting a job application?

It is generally recommended to follow up with a phone call no more than twice after submitting a job application. If you do not receive a response after two attempts, it is best to assume that the employer is not interested and move on to other opportunities.