Phases You Can't See with Spindle Inhibition

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, the phases that would be observable if a chemical is used to inhibit spindle formation are prometaphase, metaphase, and anaphase.
nobahar
Hello!

Homework Statement

If a chemical is used to inhibit spindle formation, what phases would you not see [under a microscope]?
2. Possible answers
Prophase
Prometaphase
Metaphase
Anaphase
Telophase

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured prometaphase, metaphase and anaphase.
I know some people don't use prometaphase, by this phase I don't mean prophase. Instead I mean the stage in which the connection of the micotubules with the kinetochores begins to occur, and there is the 'back and forth' movement to attempt to align the chromosomes along the metaphase plate (when this occurs it is obviously metaphase). However, apparently I'm wrong and prometaphase isn't one. There's supposed to be three answers. I guess the other is going to be telophase, but I can't see how prometaphase can be ruled out...
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would probably observe the first parts of prometaphase (e.g. disappearance of the nuclear envelope) but because spindle formation could not occur, you could not progress to the end of prometaphase and into metaphase.

Thanks for the reply,
I think that what you have said supports my thinking, since important stages of prometaphase cannot be complete, then I would say that it is perfectly reasonable to suggest that this particular stage would not be observable. Very peculiar, but, I suppose that if early prometaphase can be observed then strictly this does indeed count. A little annoying.
Thanks.

i may be wrong but i think that you would see up to metaphase. because, if i remember my biology well, the chromatids will line up at the equator of the cell. It is only in anaphase that the spindle come into action to pull apart the sister chromatids to opposite poles. the absence of spindles will not prevent the chromatids to line up during metaphase!

No. The spindle is required to align the chromosomes up at the metaphase plate.

I was thinking of it from the point of view that the microtubules as they 'reach' out, and the asters, are what constitute the spindle structure. Perhaps it only counts as a spindle structure once the chromosomes are aligned along the metaphase plate. I'll find some sources and check back, if anyone else is interested... unless someone else already knows.

1. What is spindle inhibition?

Spindle inhibition is a process in which the activity of the spindle apparatus, a structure responsible for separating chromosomes during cell division, is halted. This can occur naturally during certain phases of the cell cycle or can be induced through various methods in a laboratory setting.

2. Why are some phases unable to be seen with spindle inhibition?

Spindle inhibition can prevent the separation of chromosomes, making it difficult to visually observe certain phases of the cell cycle, such as metaphase and anaphase. These phases are characterized by the movement of chromosomes, which is inhibited by spindle inhibitors.

3. How do scientists use spindle inhibition in their research?

Scientists can use spindle inhibitors to stop the cell cycle at specific phases and study the effects of different drugs or interventions on the cell. This technique is commonly used in cancer research to understand how certain treatments affect cell division.

4. What are some common spindle inhibitors used in research?

Some common spindle inhibitors used in research include nocodazole, colchicine, and paclitaxel. These compounds interfere with the function of the spindle apparatus, resulting in cell cycle arrest at different phases depending on the inhibitor used.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using spindle inhibitors in research?

While spindle inhibitors can be a valuable tool in studying the cell cycle, they can also have unintended effects on other cellular processes. Additionally, the use of these inhibitors in research may not accurately reflect the natural processes that occur in living organisms, so caution must be taken when interpreting results.