Solutions to the TISE for unbound states

• Thread starter trelek2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary: They can be used as active elements in various electronic or optoelectronic devices.In summary, the conversation discusses solutions to the Time Independent Schrödinger Equation (TISE) for unbound states. It mentions a step potential and two potential solutions, and questions whether the wavefunctions for both solutions include a time component. The concept of a wave function and its relation to the Schrödinger equation is also discussed, and a potential real-life application of this problem is suggested.
trelek2
solutions to the TISE for "unbound states"

Hi!

Suppose we have a step potential with boundary at x=0
V=0 for x<0 and V=V for x>0
Suppose V>E

I guess I hot pretty far with this problem, I do have one doubt however:
We obviously have two solutions:
[tex]
\psi _{I} (x)=Ae ^{ik _{1}x }+ Be ^{-ik _{1}x }
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\psi _{II} (x)=De ^{-k _{2}x }
[/tex]
Now these are the eigenfunctions, to get the wavefunctions I balieve that we need to:
[tex]
\psi(x,t)=\psi(x)e ^{(-iEt2 \pi)/h}
[/tex]
But is it true for both [tex] \psi _{I} [/tex] and [tex] \psi _{II} [/tex]?
I saw somewhere that the wavefunctions for this particular case are given by
[tex]
\psi _{I} (x,t)=\psi _{I} (x)e ^{(-iEt2 \pi)/h}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\psi _{II} (x,t)=\psi _{I} (x)e ^{(-iEt2 \pi)/h}
[/tex]
This is really confusing, I guess it should have been
[tex]
\psi _{II} (x,t)=\psi _{II} (x)e ^{(-iEt2 \pi)/h}
[/tex]
But why Is the second sunction a wavefunction anyway.
It is just a decaying exponential , not a wavelike function?
Or is it that if we multiply it by that
[tex]
e ^{(-iEt2 \pi)/h}
[/tex]
this somehow changes it into a wave?
Please explain.
Also I was wondering if you could think of any physical real life situation to which this idealized problem might correspond?

Physics news on Phys.org
trelek2 said:
This is really confusing, I guess it should have been
[tex]
\psi _{II} (x,t)=\psi _{II} (x)e ^{(-iEt2 \pi)/h}
[/tex]
This is correct.

trelek2 said:
But why Is the second sunction a wavefunction anyway.
It is just a decaying exponential , not a wavelike function?
The wave function is called like that because it is a solution to a wave equation, namely the Schrödinger equation. It does not have to be "wavelike" in the classical sense.

In a classically forbidden region, it will be a decaying exponential.

trelek2 said:
Also I was wondering if you could think of any physical real life situation to which this idealized problem might correspond?
Quantum wells can be fabricated in semiconductors.

What is the TISE and why is it important in studying unbound states?

The TISE (Time-Independent Schrödinger Equation) is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is important in studying unbound states because it allows us to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of particles in a potential without the influence of time.

What are the main challenges in finding solutions to the TISE for unbound states?

The main challenges in finding solutions to the TISE for unbound states include the use of complex mathematical techniques, the need to account for the infinite potential at large distances, and the difficulty in determining the boundary conditions for unbound states.

How do we solve the TISE for unbound states?

There are several approaches to solving the TISE for unbound states, including using numerical methods, perturbation theory, and variational methods. Some common techniques used in solving the TISE include separation of variables, Fourier series, and Green's function methods.

What are the key differences between solutions to the TISE for bound and unbound states?

The main difference between solutions to the TISE for bound and unbound states is that bound states have discrete energy levels while unbound states have continuous energy spectra. In addition, the wavefunctions for bound states are localized, while those for unbound states extend to infinity.

How can solutions to the TISE for unbound states be applied in real-world situations?

Solutions to the TISE for unbound states have important applications in various fields, such as atomic and molecular physics, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics. They can be used to understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, the electronic properties of materials, and the interactions between subatomic particles.