Possible convergence of prime series

In summary, the conversation is discussing the behavior of two expressions involving the products and summations of even-ordered and odd-ordered prime numbers as n approaches infinity. The first expression, when simplified, converges to 0 while the second expression may diverge or oscillate depending on how it is written. However, it is uncertain whether either expression will ultimately converge or diverge as n approaches infinity.
Loren Booda
Does either

[tex]\frac{\prod_{2N=n}^\infty{p_n}}{\prod_{2N-1=n}^\infty{p_n}}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{\sum_{2N=n}^\infty{p_n}}{\sum_{2N-1=n}^\infty{p_n}}[/tex]

converge, diverge or oscillate, where N are the natural numbers, and pn is the nth prime?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming we do all the cancellation possible in the first one without worrying what it means, and that 2N=n really ought to be written n=2N, then it simplifies to

1/p_{2N-1}

which converges to 0 as N tends to infinity.

I don't think N can mean the natural numbers by the way.

My interpretation is
[tex]\prod_{n=1}^\infty\frac{p_{2n}}{p_{2n-1}}[/tex]
which diverges to +infty. But
[tex]\prod_{n=1}^\infty p_n^{(-1)^n}[/tex]
oscillates, so it really depends on how you write it.

Anybody else - convergence, divergence or oscillation?

Loren Booda said:
Anybody else - convergence, divergence or oscillation?

Why don't you rewrite it, or explain it in different terms, so we can all be talking about the same thing?

CRGreathouse,

How does the ratio between the product of all even-ordered primes pn (n=2N; n=2, 4, 6...) and the product of all odd-ordered primes pn (n=2N-1; n=1, 3, 5...) behave as n approaches infinity?

How does the ratio between the summation of all even-ordered primes pn (n=2N; n=2, 4, 6...) and the summation of all odd-ordered primes pn (n=2N-1; n=1, 3, 5...) behave as n approaches infinity?

Loren Booda said:
How does the ratio between the product of all even-ordered primes pn (n=2N; n=2, 4, 6...) and the product of all odd-ordered primes pn (n=2N-1; n=1, 3, 5...) behave as n approaches infinity?

But "the product of all even-ordered primes" is infinite, as is "the product of all odd-ordered primes". You can't sensibly take the ratio at all.

I gave two ways (post #5) to do the operation: take factors two at a time:
(3/2) * (7/5) * (13/11) * ...
which diverges, and taking them one factor at a time:
(1/2) * 3 * (1/5) * 7 * (1/11) * ...
which may oscillate.

But you may intend neither of these; that's why I asked for clarification.

You reminded me of the book Gamma by Julian Havil [p. 22-24] that the apparent behavior of an infinite calculation may contradict itself according to how its terms are grouped - like you say, as is written.

CRGreathouse said:
But "the product of all even-ordered primes" is infinite, as is "the product of all odd-ordered primes". You can't sensibly take the ratio at all.

I gave two ways (post #5) to do the operation: take factors two at a time:
(3/2) * (7/5) * (13/11) * ...
which diverges, and taking them one factor at a time:
(1/2) * 3 * (1/5) * 7 * (1/11) * ...
which may oscillate.

But you may intend neither of these; that's why I asked for clarification.

37 is the number we all find more often then not

1. What is the concept of convergence in prime series?

Convergence in prime series refers to the behavior of a series of prime numbers as the terms are added together. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. What is the significance of the possible convergence of prime series?

The possible convergence of prime series is significant because it could provide insights into the distribution and patterns of prime numbers, which have long been a topic of interest and study in mathematics.

3. How is the convergence of prime series determined?

The convergence of prime series can be determined by applying various convergence tests, such as the ratio test or the integral test. These tests analyze the behavior of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity.

4. What are some examples of prime series that have been shown to converge?

One example is the sum of the reciprocals of all prime numbers, also known as the Prime Harmonic Series. This series has been proven to converge to a value known as the Euler-Mascheroni constant. Another example is the sum of the reciprocals of all twin primes, which has been shown to converge to a finite limit.

5. Are there any practical applications of the convergence of prime series?

While the convergence of prime series is primarily a topic of theoretical interest in mathematics, it has also been utilized in cryptography and number theory. Additionally, understanding the convergence of prime series can provide insights into the behavior of other types of series and sequences in mathematics.