Focus on courses or work with high school teachers

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's options for their career in education. They have a BA in physics and are considering going back to school for their MS and PhD, but have also been offered a job as a "science in motion" person, which includes driving a van and training teachers in high schools. The individual is torn between the opportunity for higher education and the well-paying job. They also mention their long-term goal of teaching at a rural college and the potential impact of their lack of an MS on their compensation. Finally, they consider the current job market and the potential for added experience and maturity if they were to take the job for a few years before pursuing higher education.
flatmaster
I have my BA in physics and two years of graduate work at Auburn. I had an excellent experience there as a TA, but my own courses suffered. Quite a bit of my time was spent messing around in the intro lab. I am currently accepted at University of Alabama Huntsville to start up with their physics program in the fall.

http://www.amsti.org/

Recently, I was offered a position back at Auburn as their "science in motion" person. Basically, I would drive a van around and facilitate moving lab equipment around high-schools. Also, I would be responsible for training teachers in using the equipment. From what I've seen so far, this job would pay very well.

First off, would a kid of 26 have trouble teaching and training teachers that may be decades his senior? This, however, isn't my main concern.

Should I do "science in motion", or go back to being a full time student?

I really enjoy living in Huntsville here. I'd be able to get an MS sooner and eventually a PhD. I don't really mind living like a student for a few more years; finances aren't a problem for now.

On the other hand, the pay would be really good. The offerer mistakenly thought I already held my masters and estimated the compensation at 50K. This would be great experience should my end goal be within education. I might be able to take a course or two free of tuition.

My temporary goal is to eventually obtain a PhD and find a small, rural college at which to teach. Obviously, this is only a small part of the whole story, but which road would you take?

Physics news on Phys.org
flatmaster said:
The offerer mistakenly thought I already held my masters and estimated the compensation at 50K.

Note that once your lack of a MS does become known, your offered compensation package could be lower. You may want to look into this as you consider your options.

flatmaster said:
The offerer mistakenly thought I already held my masters and estimated the compensation at 50K.

I think that says it all, and if after earning 50k for a few years you decide to pursue grad school, then the added cushion of money and maturity will make it much easier.

Well, let's say for a minute money wasn't an issue. What would be best as far as experience to eventually end up in education?

The "science in motion" thing sounds like fun, and the money is excellent! If you like doing it why not do it for a few years? The economy is rock bottom at the moment, jobs are hard to get. If you have a physics job in the hand I would go for it, unless the ones in the bush look twice as good...

I think I'll gopher it. It's too bad, I was really beginning to enjoy living in Huntsville.

What is the purpose of focusing on courses or working with high school teachers?

The purpose of focusing on courses or working with high school teachers is to improve the quality of education and prepare students for their future academic and career pursuits.

How does focusing on courses or working with high school teachers benefit students?

Focusing on courses or working with high school teachers benefits students by providing them with a more comprehensive and engaging education, helping them develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and preparing them for college or the workforce.

What types of courses or subjects are typically focused on in this approach?

The courses or subjects that are typically focused on in this approach are STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields, as well as other areas such as language arts, social sciences, and the arts.

How can scientists contribute to this focus on courses or work with high school teachers?

Scientists can contribute to this focus on courses or work with high school teachers by sharing their expertise and knowledge through guest lectures, workshops, and mentorship programs. They can also collaborate with teachers to develop hands-on activities and real-world applications of scientific concepts.

What are the potential challenges of implementing this approach?

Potential challenges of implementing this approach include limited resources and funding, resistance to change from traditional teaching methods, and finding ways to effectively integrate scientific concepts into existing curricula. Additionally, collaboration and communication between scientists and teachers may also pose challenges.