Unitary Transformation Problem

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a linear and norm-preserving operator on a vector space is unitary. The equations and attempts at a solution are discussed, with the key to the difficulty being the complex conjugate rule for the inner product. The suggestion is made to try using the inner product (T(x), T(iy)) or other combinations with an i in order to prove the equality of the imaginary parts.
Sam_Goldberg

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I'm working on a question in Tom M Apostol's second calculus book, on page 141, number 5. It is: Prove that if T (an operator on a vector space V) is linear and norm-preserving, then T is unitary.

Homework Equations

Okay, a transformation T is linear if it satisfies (x and y are vectors, c is a complex scalar):

T(x + y) = T(x) + T(y)
T(cx) = cT(x)

A norm-preserving transformation satisfies for all x (these are norms and inner products):

|T(x)| = |x|
Equivalently, (T(x), T(x)) = (x, x)

Finally, T is unitary if for all x and y:

(T(x), T(y)) = (x, y)

Note that this is a complex vector space, so, in particular:

(x , y) = (y, x)*

where * is the complex conjugate. This fact is the key to my difficulties in this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here goes:

(T(x), T(y))
= (T(x + y), T(y)) - (T(y), T(y))
= (T(x + y), T(y)) - (y , y)
= (T(x + y), T(x + y)) - (T(x), T(x)) - (T(y), T(x)) - (y, y)
= (x + y, x + y) - (x, x) - (y, y) - (T(y), T(x))
= (x, y) + (y, x) - (T(y), T(x))

Therefore: (T(x), T(y)) + (T(y), T(x)) = (x, y) + (y, x)

Now, due to the complex conjugate rule for the inner product, I can only deduce from this equation that:

(T(x), T(y)) + (T(x), T(y))* = (x, y) + (x, y)*

So, I have only proven that the real parts of (T(x), T(y)) and (x, y) are equal, not the imaginary parts. I would appreciate any inputs on how to prove this too. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try it again with the inner product (T(x), T(iy)), or some other combination with an i in there.

g_edgar said:
Try it again with the inner product (T(x), T(iy)), or some other combination with an i in there.

You are absolutely right. If we replace in my final equation x by ix, we get:

i(T(x), T(y)) - i(T(x), T(y))* = i(x, y) - i(x, y)*

which clearly shows that the imaginary parts of (T(x), T(y)) and (x, y) are equal. Thank you very much.

1. What is a unitary transformation problem?

A unitary transformation problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a unitary transformation matrix that can convert one set of basis vectors into another set of basis vectors.

2. What is a unitary transformation matrix?

A unitary transformation matrix is a square matrix that preserves the length of vectors and the angle between them. It is also known as a unitary operator because it preserves the unit length of vectors.

3. What is the significance of unitary transformation in quantum mechanics?

Unitary transformations are fundamental in quantum mechanics as they are used to describe the time evolution of quantum states. In quantum mechanics, unitary transformations are also used to represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy.

4. How do you solve a unitary transformation problem?

To solve a unitary transformation problem, you need to first identify the two sets of basis vectors and then find the unitary transformation matrix that can convert one set of basis vectors into the other. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix diagonalization.

5. What are some applications of unitary transformations?

Unitary transformations have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. In addition to their role in quantum mechanics, they are also used in signal processing, coding theory, and quantum computing. In physics, unitary transformations are used to study symmetries in physical systems, while in engineering, they are used to design efficient algorithms for data processing and image compression.